1832 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||1832 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1832
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1832 in Ireland.
- 23 May – following disorder at Castlepollard Fair in County Westmeath, at least seven men and two women are shot dead by the constabulary.
- 7 August – the Representation of the People (Ireland) Act, 1832, commonly called the Irish Reform Act 1832, introduces wide-ranging changes to the laws for elections to the Parliament of the United Kingdom, particularly in the Boroughs.
Arts and literature
- January – Theatre Royal, Wexford opened.
- 6 May – Margaret Anna Cusack, nun, writer and founder of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace (died 1899 in England).
- 10 May – William Russell Grace, businessman and first Roman Catholic mayor of New York (died 1904 in the United States).
- September – John Byrne, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1854 at the Battle of Inkerman, Crimea (died 1879 in Wales).
- 30 September – Charlotte Riddell, née Cowan, novelist and editor (died 1906 in England).
- 11 November – Martin Murphy, civil engineer (died 1926 in Canada).
- 14 November – Stopford Brooke, Anglican clergyman and writer (died 1916 in England).
Full date unknown
- Patrick Carlin, Victoria Cross soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1858 in India (died 1895).
- Thomas McCarthy, businessman and politician in Quebec (died 1870 in Canada).
- Standish Hayes O'Grady, antiquarian (died 1915 in England).
- Joseph Ward, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1858 at Gwalior, India (died 1872).
- 8 April – Andrew Blayney, 11th Baron Blayney, soldier, politician and peer (born 1770).
- 18 September – Henry Boyd, literary translator.
- 28 December – Henry Conyngham, 1st Marquess Conyngham, politician (born 1766).
- Connell, Paul (2001). "'Slaughtered like wild beasts: Massacre at Castlepollard fair, 1831". In Cronin, Denis A. et al. (ed.). Irish Fairs and Markets: Studies in Local History. Dublin: Four Courts Press. pp. 143–163. ISBN 1-85182-525-8.
- The law journal for the year 1832–1949, Abridgment of statutes, X, E. B. Ince, 1832