1834 in Ireland
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||1834 in the United Kingdom|
Other events of 1834
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1834 in Ireland.
- 17 December – the Dublin and Kingstown Railway, the first public railway in Ireland, opens between Westland Row, Dublin, and Kingstown.
- 18 December – Tithe War: "Rathcormac massacre": At Gortroe, County Cork, armed Constabulary reinforced by the regular British Army kill at least nine and wound thirty protesters.
- National Education Act provides for a national system of primary education, including Catholic children, taught in the English language.
- St. Vincent's Hospital is set up at St Stephen's Green, Dublin, by Mary Aikenhead, staffed by the Religious Sisters of Charity.
- Downshire Bridge ("The Cut") underpass is built in Banbridge, County Down, by contractor William Dargan.
- Croquet is recorded as being played in Ireland (at Greenmount near Castlebellingham, County Louth) at about this date.
- March – Timothy Eaton, businessman in Canada, founder of Eaton's department store (died 1907).
- 15 July – John Horgan, politician and member of the Western Australian Legislative Council (died 1907).
- 1 August – William Murphy, evangelical Protestant preacher (died 1872).
- 4 September – Robert Montresor Rogers, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1860 at the Taku Forts, China (died 1895).
- 24 December – Charles W. Jones, lawyer and United States Senator in Florida (died 1897).
- Percy Hetherington Fitzgerald, literary biographer, drama critic and sculptor (died 1925).
- 6 January – Richard Martin, "Humanity Dick", politician and animal rights activist (born 1754).
- 4 June – Samuel Greg, entrepreneur and pioneer of the factory system at Quarry Bank Mill (born 1758).
- "The Rathcormac Inquest", House of Commons Debates, 26, pp. 523–4, 3 March 1835, retrieved 2012-10-17
- Rathcormac Tithe Commemoration Committee (1984). A souvenir programme commemorating the Rathmore-Gortroe massacre which took place during the Tithe War on the 18 December, 1834.
- Meenan, F. O. C. (1995). St Vincent's Hospital 1834–1994. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan. ISBN 0-7171-2151-8.
- Martin, Clive; Williams, Simon (2004). "A Brief history of Croquet in Ireland". Croquet Association of Ireland. Retrieved 2013-01-09.