1837 in sports
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1837 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- With James Burke now operating in America, attention shifts to the upcoming Ben Caunt and William "Bendigo" Thompson who each win two fights in 1837, but there remains no resolution to the English title issue.
- Kent is the most successful team and this marks the beginning of a great period in the county's history till1849. Mainstays of the Kent team in these years include Alfred Mynn, Fuller Pilch, Nicholas Felix, Ned Wenman and William Hillyer.
- Grand National – The Duke
- 1,000 Guineas Stakes – Chapeau d'Espagne
- 2,000 Guineas Stakes – Achmet
- Epsom Derby – Phosphorus
- Epsom Oaks – Miss Letty
- St. Leger Stakes – Mango
The Boat Race
- The Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race is not held this year
- Cyber Boxing Zone – James Burke. Retrieved on 7 November 2009.
- Officially known as the Great Liverpool Steeplechase from 1836 to 1838.