1839 in France
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 1839|
History of France • Timeline • Years
Events from the year 1839 in France.
- 9 January - The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 2 March - Legislative election held.
- 12–13 May - Failed insurrection led by Louis Auguste Blanqui, Armand Barbès, Martin Bernard, and the Société des Saisons as part of the struggle for French worker's rights.
- 22 June - Louis Daguerre receives patent for his camera (commercially available by September with the prize of 400 Francs).
- 6 July - Legislative election held.
- 19 August - French government gives Louis Daguerre a pension and gives the daguerreotype "for the whole world".
- 15 October - Abd al-Kader declares a jihad against the French.
- 19 January - Paul Cézanne, painter (died 1906)
- 27 January - Marie Adolphe Carnot, chemist, mining engineer and politician (died 1920)
- 16 March - Sully Prudhomme, poet and essayist, winner of first Nobel Prize in Literature in 1901 (died 1907)
- 17 March - Louis Ricard, Lawyer and Politician (died 1921)
- 5 May - Louis Émile Javal, ophthalmologist (died 1907)
- 21 May - Joseph Albert Alexandre Glatigny, poet (died 1873)
- 9 August - Gaston Paris, writer and scholar (died 1903)
- 20 August - Gaston du Bousquet, steam locomotive engineer (died 1910)
Full date unknown
- Georges Leclanché, electrical engineer (died 1882)
- Albert Tissandier, architect, aviator, illustrator, editor and archaeologist (died 1906)
- 10 January - Charles Philippe Lafont, violinist and composer (born 1781)
- 2 March - Charlotte Napoléone Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon I (born 1802)
- 2 April - Toussaint-Bernard Éméric-David, archaeologist and writer on art (born 1755)
- 9 May - Joseph Fiévée, journalist, novelist, essayist and playwright (born 1767)
- 13 May - Hugues-Bernard Maret, duc de Bassano, statesman and journalist (born 1763)
- 19 July - Maurice de Guérin, poet (born 1810)
- 30 September - Joseph François Michaud, historian and publicist (born 1767)
- 31 December - Hyacinthe-Louis de Quelen, Archbishop of Paris (born 1778)