From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following are the association football events of decades 1840s around the world.
- 1848 – A committee at Cambridge University attempts to create a universal set of rules for football. (This code later become known as The Cambridge Rules and greatly influenced association football when it was codified in 1863.)
- 1849 – In Cheltenham, the first use of three official referees in a match, two in field and one in tribune.
- 1842, December 2 – Charles William Alcock, English footballer and creator of the FA Cup
- 1847, June 19 – Robert Barker, English footballer
- 1847, August 30 – Morton Betts, English footballer and cricketer (died 1914)
- 1848, May 16 – Ernest Bambridge, English footballer
- 1848, August 22 – John Brockbank, English footballer
- 1849, March 28 – Reginald Birkett, English footballer