1850 in Canada
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Years in Canada:||1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s|
|Years:||1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853|
|Part of a series on the|
|History of Canada|
|By Provinces and Territories|
Events from the year 1850 in Canada.
- January 14 - Malcolm Cameron visits Washington, D.C. about a trade reciprocity agreement.
- October 11 - The St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railroad opens.
Full date unknown
- In the United States, the Fugitive Slave Act is passed. It provides that even free persons can be made a slave if suspected of being a runaway. As a result, more fugitive slaves and free Black persons come to Canada.
- The site of John By's headquarters during the construction of the Rideau Canal is incorporated as Bytown.
- Gold discovered in British Columbia, and coal on Vancouver Island.
- The Canadian government passes the Railway Guarantee Act.
January to June
- January 27 - Louis-Philippe Hébert, sculptor (died 1917)
- April 15 - William Thomas Pipes, politician and Premier of Nova Scotia (died 1909)
- April 29 - George Murdoch, politician and 1st Mayor of Calgary (died 1910)
- March 13 - Hugh John Macdonald, politician, Minister and 8th Premier of Manitoba (died 1929)
- May 1 - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, 10th Governor General of Canada (died 1942)
- May 6 - Joseph-Hormisdas Legris, politician and Senator (died 1932)
July to December
- July 11 - John Augustus Barron, politician and lawyer (died 1936)
- September 27 - William Pugsley, lawyer, politician and 10th Premier of New Brunswick (died 1925)
- December 15 - Joseph-Alphonse Couture, veterinarian
- December 31 - John Wycliffe Lowes Forster, artist (died 1938)
Full date unknown
- Daniel J. Greene, politician and Prime Minister of Newfoundland (died 1911)
- Charles Braithwaite, politician and agrarian leader (died 1910)