1851 in rail transport
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1851.
- February 4 – The Cincinnati, Wilmington and Zanesville Railroad is incorporated in Ohio.
- February 7 – the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad, the earliest predecessor of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad, is incorporated.
- February 10 – The Illinois Central Railroad is chartered.
- February 25 – the first passenger train on the Milwaukee Road operates over what is then known as the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad between Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
- May 17 – Opening of first railway in Peru, linking the Pacific port of Callao and the capital Lima (13.7 km (8.5 mi) of standard gauge), later part of the Ferrocarril del Centro.
- July 4 - Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for the Pacific Railroad Company, a railroad later to become the Missouri Pacific Railroad
- December 22 – The first railway operates in India, hauling construction material in Roorkee.
- December 25 – Opening of first railway in Chile, from Caldera to Copiapó (80.5 km (50.0 mi) of standard gauge climbing (396 m (1,299 ft)).[page needed]
Unknown date events
- The oldest line to become a part of the Southern Pacific Railroad system, the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway begins construction between Houston, Texas, and Alleyton, Texas.
- The Mohawk and Hudson Railroad changes its name to the Mohawk Valley Railroad.
- March 1 – Edward Ponsonby, director for London, Brighton and South Coast Railway beginning in 1895 and chairman of same 1908–1920, is born (died 1920).
- September 16 – Henry Ivatt, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Great Northern Railway (Great Britain) 1896–1911 (died 1923).
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Morris, J.C., Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs (December 31, 1902), Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs, Part II. History of the Railroads of Ohio. Retrieved February 4, 2006.
- Steamtown National Historic Site, Illinois Central Railroad number 790 Archived 2006-05-08 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved February 10, 2006.
- Whetham, Robert D. (2008). Railways of Peru. Volume 2 – The Central and Southern Lines. Bristol: Trackside Publications. ISBN 978-1-900095-37-2.
- Pitanza, Marc (2015). Staten Island Rapid Transit Images of Rail. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4671-2338-9.
- Leigh, Irvin; Matus, Paul (January 2002). "Staten Island Rapid Transit: The Essential History". thethirdrail.net. The Third Rail Online. Archived from the original on 30 May 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- Marshall, John (1989). The Guinness Railway Book. Enfield: Guinness Books. ISBN 0-8511-2359-7. OCLC 24175552.