1859 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||1859 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1859
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1859 in Ireland.
- 29 March - The Irish Times is first published, in Dublin.
- 28 April–18 May - United Kingdom general election in Ireland produces a Tory majority in Irish seats.
- Evangelical Ulster Revival.
- John Sisk establishes his building construction business in Cork.
- 3 January - Maurice Healy, lawyer, politician and MP (died 1923).
- 30 January - Tony Mullane, Major League Baseball player (died 1944).
- 1 February - Victor Herbert, composer, cellist and conductor (died 1924).
- 11 February - Barry Yelverton, 5th Viscount Avonmore, nobleman and officer (died 1885).
- February - James Murray, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1881 at Elandsfontein, near Pretoria, South Africa (died 1942).
- 13 April - Daniel Gallery, politician in Canada (died 1920).
- 22 April - Ada Rehan, Shakespearean actress (died 1916 in the United States).
- 4 May - William Hamilton, cricketer (died 1914).
- 16 October - Daisy Bates, née Margaret Dwyer, anthropologist (died 1951 in Australia).
Full date unknown
- Francis Fitzpatrick, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1879 during an attack on Sekukuni's Town, South Africa (died 1933).
- Thomas Houghton, Anglican Clergyman and editor of the Gospel Magazine (died 1951).
- Edward Martyn, playwright and activist (died 1923).
- Justin Huntly McCarthy, politician and author (died 1936).
- Walter Osborne, painter (died 1903).
- Henry Jones Thaddeus, painter (died 1929).
- 14 April - Lady Morgan, novelist (b. c1776).
- 3 November - George Forrest, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry during the Indian Rebellion of 1857 at Delhi, India (born 1800).
- 29 April - Dionysius Lardner, scientific writer (born 1793).
Full date unknown
|This Irish history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|