The following lists events that happened during 1860 in New Zealand.
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
The general election of 1860–1861 begins on 12 December but does not conclude until 28 March the following year. The 2nd Parliament continues until the completion of the election.
- 2 January: The Auckland Independent ceases publishing. It began in 1859.
- 6 January: The Marlborough Press publishes its first issue. The paper continues until 1948.
- 8 January: Julius von Haast begins his journey of exploration of the West Coast.
- 17 March: The assault on Te Kohia pā marks the beginning of the First Taranaki War.
- 28 March: Battle of Waireka.
- 27 June: The battle of Puketakauere is a major setback for Imperial forces.
- 28 December: Imperial forces capture Matarikoriko Pā, near Waitara.
Arts and literature
- A choral society is formed in Wellington.
- The Canterbury Vocal Union is formed by nine men in Christchurch. It shortly afterwards merges with the St. Cecilia Society and will eventually become the Royal Christchurch Music Society.
The first inter-provincial cricket game is played between Auckland and Wellington. Auckland win.
The New Zealand Derby is held for the first time, at Riccarton Racecourse. This is the first race in New Zealand to have a continuous annual history.
Major race winner
Bowls is first known to have been played in the country, in Auckland.
The Government recommends that prizes be given for rifle shooting. This leads to the first National Rifle Shooting Championships in 1861.
- 8 January: Louis Catherin Servant, Catholic priest and missionary
- 30 May: Karetai, tribal leader
- 25 June: Pōtatau Te Wherowhero, first Māori King
- 6 August: William Cargill, British soldier, Otago founder and politician
- 7 August: Charles Southwell, English-born journalist, freethinker and newspaper publisher
- 4 November (in Tianjin, China): Arthur Saunders Thomson, military surgeon, medical scientist, writer and historian
- 26 December: Barnet Burns, English sailor and trader
- Romanos, J. (2001) New Zealand Sporting Records and Lists. Auckland: Hodder Moa Beckett. ISBN 1-86958-879-7
Media related to 1860 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons