1861 United States Senate election in New York
The 1861 United States Senate election in New York was held on February 5, 1861, by the New York State Legislature to elect a U.S. Senator (Class 3) to represent the State of New York in the United States Senate.
Whig William H. Seward had been re-elected in February 1855 to this seat, had become a Republican upon the foundation of that party in September 1855, and his term would expire on March 3, 1861. Seward did not seek re-election, instead being certain to be appointed to an office in the incoming Abraham Lincoln administration.
At the State election in November 1859, 23 Republicans and 9 Democrats were elected for a two-year term (1860-1861) in the State Senate. At the State election in November 1860, 93 Republicans and 35 Democrats were elected to the Assembly for the session of 1861. The 84th New York State Legislature met from January 1 to April 16, 1861, at Albany, New York.
Ex-Governor Horatio Seymour (in office 1853-1854) was the candidate of the Democratic Party.
Both in the Assembly and the Senate a strict party vote confirmed the caucus selections.
In the Assembly 119 votes were given. Republicans Smith Anthony (Cayuga Co.), Martin Finch (Essex Co.), Henry A. Prendergast (Chautauqua Co.), Victor M. Rice (Erie Co.) and Perez H. Field (Ontario Co.); and Democrats Luke F. Cozans (NYC), Benjamin H. Long (Erie Co.), N. Holmes Odell (Westchester Co.) and Christian B. Woodruff (NYC); did not vote.
In the State Senate, 31 votes were given. William H. Ferry (Rep., 19th D.) was absent.
Ira Harris was the choice of both the Assembly and the Senate, and was declared elected.
|U.S. Senator||State Senate (32 members)||Ira Harris||22||Horatio Seymour||9|
|State Assembly (128 members)||Ira Harris||88||Horatio Seymour||31|
Harris served one term, and remained in office until March 3, 1867.
- The New York Civil List compiled by Franklin Benjamin Hough, Stephen C. Hutchins and Edgar Albert Werner, 1867 (see pg. 568 for U. S. Senators; pg. 442 for State Senators 1861; pg. 492ff for Members of Assembly 1861)
- Members of the 37th United States Congress
- Result state election 1859 in The Tribune Almanac for 1860 compiled by Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune
- Result state election 1860 in The Tribune Almanac for 1861 compiled by Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune
- FROM THE STATE CAPITAL.; Election of United States Senator in NYT on February 6, 1861
- Result, State Senate: Journal of the Senate (84th Session) (1861; pg. 137)
- Result, Assembly: Journal of the Assembly (84th Session) (1861; pg. 247f)