The year 1861 in architecture involved some significant architectural event and new buildings.
- Arlington Street Church in Boston, Massachusetts, United States, designed by Arthur Gilman.
- St James the Less, Pimlico, London, designed by George Edmund Street.
- St. Michael's Church, Berlin, designed by August Soller (who is buried here) in 1845 and completed by Richard Lucae (his nephew), Andreas Simons and Martin Gropius.
- Tromsø Cathedral, Norway, designed by Christian Heinrich Grosch.
- Palácio do Grão-Pará, Petrópolis, Brazil, designed by Theodore Marx with de Araújo Porto Alegre.
- Mary Birdsall House in Richmond, Indiana.