1862 in Australia
- Governor of New South Wales - John Young, 1st Baron Lisgar
- Governor of Queensland - Sir George Bowen
- Governor of South Australia - Sir Richard G. MacDonnell, Sir Dominick Daly
- Governor of Tasmania - Colonel Thomas Browne
- Governor of Victoria - Sir Henry Barkly.
- Premier of New South Wales - Charles Cowper
- Premier of Queensland - Robert Herbert
- Premier of South Australia - Thomas Reynolds, then George Waterhouse
- Premier of Tasmania - Thomas Chapman
- Premier of Victoria - John O'Shanassy
Exploration and settlement
- 24 July - Explorer John McDouall Stuart successfully returns from crossing the Australian continent from north to south on his third attempt.
Music, arts and literature
- 4 February - George Ernest Morrison, Australian adventurer and journalist (died 1920)
- 16 November - Charles Turner, Australian cricketer (died 1944)
- 13 March - Roderick Flanagan (born 1828), historian
- 5 July - Charles Whitehead (born 1804), English novelist
- B. A. Knox (1969). "Australian Dictionary of Biography - Volume 3: Barkly, Sir Henry (1815–1898)". adb.online.anu.edu.au. Melbourne University Press. pp. 95, 96. Retrieved 7 August 2017.