1863 in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||1863 in the United Kingdom
Other events of 1863
List of years in Ireland
Events from the year 1863 in Ireland.
- 2 March - The Ulster Railway, which began construction in 1839, reaches Clones.
- 10 March - Riots in Cork, related to nationalist unrest.
- 21 August - American clipper Anglo Saxon westbound is captured and burned by Confederate privateer Florida off Old Head of Kinsale.
- 28 November - First edition of The Irish People.
Arts and literature
- Belleek Pottery begins to produce Parian Ware.
- Sheridan Le Fanu publishes The House by the Churchyard.
- 1 February - George Carew, 4th Baron Carew (died 1926).
- 17 March - P. H. McCarthy, labour leader and mayor of San Francisco (died 1933).
- 31 March - Sir Ion Hamilton Benn, 1st Baronet, businessman and British politician (died 1961).
- 2 April - Mabel Cahill, tennis player.
- 9 April - Henry De Vere Stacpoole, ship's doctor and author (died 1951).
- 12 August - Margaretta Eagar, nurse for the four daughters of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra and memoirist (died 1936).
- 25 August - Eugene O'Growney, priest and scholar (died 1899).
- 7 September - Henry Boyle Townshend Somerville, Royal Navy hydrographic surveyor, murdered by Irish Republican Army (died 1936).
- 26 September - Caesar Litton Falkiner, Irish Unionist Party politician, barrister, writer and historian (died 1908).
- 24 November - Frederick Thomas Trouton, physicist responsible for Trouton's Rule (died 1922).
Full date unknown
- 1 January - Ambrose Madden, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1854 in the Crimea, at Little Inkerman (born 1806).
- 16 February - Denis Dynon, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Chota Behar, India (born 1822).
- 21 February - Samuel Hill, soldier, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Lucknow, India, later killed in action (born 1826).
- 6 May - Robert Arbuthnot, British military officer (born 1773).
- 7 July - William Mulready, painter (born 1786).
- 8 July - Francis Kenrick, headed the Diocese of Philadelphia, then was Archbishop of Baltimore (born 1796).
- 24 July - Thomas Arthur Bellew, landowner and politician (born 1820).
- 17 October - John Dunlay, recipient of the Victoria Cross for gallantry in 1857 at Lucknow, India (born 1831).
- 10 December - James FitzGibbon, British soldier and hero of the War of 1812 (born 1782).
- 10 December - Charles C. Ingham, painter and founder of New York National Academy of Design (born 1797).