1863 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in art (table)|
|... 1853 . 1854 . 1855 . 1856 . 1857 . 1858 . 1859 ...
1860 1861 1862 -1863- 1864 1865 1866
... 1867 . 1868 . 1869 . 1870 . 1871 . 1872 . 1873 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
Events from the year 1863 in art.
- March – American-born painter James McNeill Whistler settles close to the River Thames in Chelsea, London, where he will live for most of the rest of his life.
- June 12 – The Arts Club is founded by Charles Dickens, Anthony Trollope, Frederic Leighton and others in London's Mayfair as a social meeting place for those involved or interested in the creative arts.
- The École des Beaux-Arts in Paris becomes independent of the Académie des Beaux-Arts.
- Julia Margaret Cameron takes up photography.
- May 17 – Opening of first exhibition of the Salon des Refusés in Paris (in which Manet exhibits Le déjeuner sur l'herbe and two other paintings; Whistler exhibits Symphony in White, No. 1: The White Girl and Cézanne first exhibits), and coining of the term avant-garde.
- Peter Nicolai Arbo – Horse Herd on the High Mountains
- Thomas Jones Barker – 'The Secret of England's Greatness' (Queen Victoria presenting a Bible in the Audience Chamber at Windsor) (approximate date)
- Albert Bierstadt – The Rocky Mountains, Lander's Peak
- David Gilmour Blythe
- Alexey Bogolyubov – Easter procession in Yaroslavl
- Alexandre Cabanel – The Birth of Venus (first version, Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Paul Cézanne – The Judgement of Paris (approximate date)
- Charles Camille Chazal – Institution of the Eucharist
- François-Claudius Compte-Calix – Vieil Ami
- Pierre Puvis de Chavannes – Work (Musée de Picardie, Amiens)
- Vilhelm Kyhn – Efter solnedgang i udkanten af en landsby ("After Sunset on the Outskirts of a Village")
- Édouard Manet
- Robert Braithwaite Martineau – The Last Chapter
- Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier – Napoleon III at the Battle of Solferino
- John Everett Millais – My First Sermon
- Albert Joseph Moore – Wall decorations at Coombe Abbey
- Vincent Pilz – Pegasus (pair of bronzes) (approximate date)
- Eugene von Guerard – North-east View from the Northern Top of Mount Kosciusko
- Frederick Walker – The Lost Path
- James McNeill Whistler – Grey and Silver: Old Battersea Reach
- January 11 – Mary Tannahill, American painter and artist in fabrics (died 1951)
- April 3 – Henry van de Velde, Belgian painter, architect and designer, co-founder of the Art Nouveau movement (died 1957)
- May 17 – C. R. Ashbee, English designer (died 1942)
- June 12 – Bertram Mackennal, Australian sculptor (died 1931)
- June 16 – Arturo Michelena, Venezuelan painter (died 1898)
- August 30 (August 18 Old Style) – Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky, Russian color photographer (died 1944)
- September 6 – Jessie Willcox Smith, American illustrator (died 1935)
- October 24 – Bertha Jaques, American etcher (died 1941)
- November 11 – Paul Signac, French neo-Impressionist painter (died 1935)
- December 12 – Edvard Munch, Norwegian painter (died 1944)
- January 6 – Harriet Gouldsmith, English landscape painter and etcher (born 1787)
- January 17 – Horace Vernet, French painter of battles, portraits, and Orientalist Arab subjects (born 1789)
- February 6 – Karl Ludwig Frommel, German landscape painter and engraver (born 1789)
- February 16 – Alvan Fisher, United States's pioneer in landscape painting and genre works (born 1792)
- February 20 – John Cart Burgess, English watercolour painter of flowers and landscapes (born 1798)
- April 4 – Ludwig Emil Grimm, painter and engraver (born 1790)
- June 5 – Marie Ellenrieder, German painter (born 1791)
- July 7 – William Mulready, Irish genre painter of rural scenes (born 1786)
- July 12 – Étienne-Jean Delécluze, French painter and critic (born 1781)
- August 13 – Eugène Delacroix, French Romantic painter (born 1798)
- September 19 – Joseph Nigg – Austrian painter, with painting on porcelain a specialty (born 1782)
- December 4 – James Duffield Harding, English landscape painter (born 1798)
- December 10 – Charles C. Ingham, Irish portrait painter and later founder of the New York National Academy of Design (born 1797)
- date unknown