1866 in birding and ornithology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Years in birding and ornithology:||1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s|
|Years:||1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869|
- Richard Owen describes the mandible of the broad-billed parrot.
- Philip Sclater Exotic Ornithology (1866–69).
- Birds described in 1866 include Cabanis's tanager, bar-winged rail, spot-crowned antvireo, Van Dam's vanga, Mayotte drongo,
- Death of Johann Wilhelm von Müller
- Death of Philipp Franz von Siebold
- Axel Wilhelm Eriksson leaves Sweden for South-West Africa.
- Foundation of Museu Paraense Emílio Goeldi.
- Death of Christian Ludwig Landbeck. He had described many bird species in collaboration with Rodolfo Amando Philippi.
- Death of Ferdinand Joseph L'Herminier
- Philippi, R. A. & Landbeck, L. 1866. Beiträge zur Fauna Chiles. Archiv für Naturgeschichte 32: 121–132.Masafuera rayadito
- 1865–1868 Magenta circumnavigation of the globe Italian expedition that made important scientific observations in South America.
- John Gould The birds of Australia; Supplement 1851-69. 1 vol. 81 plates; Artists: J. Gould and H. C. Richter; Lithographer: H. C. Richter
- John Gould The birds of Asia; 1850-83 7 vols. 530 plates, Artists: J. Gould, H. C. Richter, W. Hart and J. Wolf; Lithographers:H. C. Richter and W. Hart
|This article about ornithology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|