This article needs additional citations for verification
. (January 2015)
Events from the year 1873 in art.
- Early – Pre-Raphaelite painter Simeon Solomon is arrested in a public urinal in London and convicted and fined for gross indecency.
- May – Vincent van Gogh is re-located to London by his employer, the art dealers Goupil & Cie.
- World exhibition in Vienna.
- Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, and Sisley organize the Société Anonyme Coopérative des Artistes Peintres, Sculpteurs, Graveurs, etc. for the purpose of exhibiting artworks independently.
- The collection forming the Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria is moved to the Palazzo dei Priori, Perugia.
- New Accademia delle Arti del Disegno established in Florence.
- Leslie Ward, as "Spy", begins producing caricatures for the British magazine Vanity Fair.
- January 28 – Charles Sims, English painter (suicide 1928)
- February 14 – Albert Guillaume, French painter and caricaturist (died 1942)
- April 3 – Rista Vukanović, Serbian Impressionist painter and husband of painter Beta Vukanović (died 1918)
- April 4 – Élie Faure, French art historian (died 1937)
- April 24 – André Bauchant, French painter (died 1958)
- May 10 – Carl Eldh, Swedish painter and sculptor (died 1954)
- July 6 – Ethel Sands, American-born painter (died 1962)
- July 7 – Albert Moulton Foweraker, English painter (died 1942)
- October 12 – Nadežda Petrović, Serbian Fauvist painter (died 1915)
- date unknown – Jane Emmet de Glehn, American painter (died 1961)
- April 17 – Fyodor Petrovich Tolstoy, Russian painter, engraver and silhouettist (born 1783)
- April 28 – Giovanni Maria Benzoni, Italian sculptor (born 1809)
- May 13 – Konstantin Danil, renowned Serbian painter (born 1798)
- May 19 – Charles Lucy, English painter (born 1814)
- July 8 – Franz Xaver Winterhalter, German painter (born 1805)
- October 2 – Cornelius Varley, English watercolor painter (born 1881)
- October 9 – John Evan Thomas, Welsh sculptor (born 1810)
- November 25 – Hans Harder, Danish painter and drawing master (born 1792)
- November 27 – Edmund Thomas Parris, English historical, portrait, subject, and panorama painter, book illustrator, designer and art restorer (born 1793)
- December 9 – William Bent Berczy, painter and political figure in Upper Canada (born 1791)
- date unknown
- ^ Peniston, William A. (2004). Pederasts and Others. Haworth gay & lesbian studies. London: Routledge. pp. 77–78. ISBN 1-56023-486-5.