1878 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article presents lists of the literary events and publications in 1878.
- January 28 – The Yale News becomes the first daily college newspaper in the United States.
- June – Robert Louis Stevenson's three linked detective fiction short stories The Suicide Club featuring Prince Florizel begin publication in The London Magazine.
- June 10 – Konrad Korzeniowski, the future English-language novelist Joseph Conrad, sets foot on British soil for the first time, at Lowestoft from the SS Mavis.
- July – Notorious Scottish poetaster William McGonagall, "poet and tragedian", journeys on foot from Dundee to Balmoral Castle over mountainous terrain and through a violent thunderstorm in a fruitless attempt to perform his verse before Queen Victoria.
- August 3 – Guy de Maupassant writes to Gustave Flaubert, complaining about the monotony of his life and his new job as an employee of the Ministry of Public Instruction in France.
- October – The Peabody Institute Library (later George Peabody Library) opens to the public in Baltimore, Maryland.
- December 30 – Henry Irving's production of Hamlet, with himself in the title rôle playing opposite Ellen Terry as Ophelia, opens at the Lyceum Theatre, London (of which they have taken over the management).
- The Johns Hopkins University Press is established in Baltimore, Maryland, as the "University Publication Agency", making it the oldest continuously operating university press in the United States.
- The Remington No. 2 typewriter, the first with a shift key enabling production of lower as well as upper case characters, is introduced in the United States.
- W. Harrison Ainsworth – Beatrice Tyldesley
- Walter Besant and James Rice – The Monks of Thelema
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon – An Open Verdict
- Ellen Buckingham Mathews (pseudonym Helen Mathers) – Cherry Ripe
- Wilkie Collins – The Haunted Hotel
- Theodor Fontane – Vor dem Sturm ("Before the Storm")
- Anna Katharine Green – The Leavenworth Case
- Thomas Hardy – The Return of the Native (serialised in Belgravia)
- Henry James
- William Hurrell Mallock
- Margaret Oliphant – The Primrose Path
- José Maria de Eça de Queiroz – Cousin Bazilio (O Primo Basílio)
- Anne Eliza Smith – Seola
- Harriet Beecher Stowe – Poganuc People: Their Loves and Lives
- Leo Tolstoy – Anna Karenina («Анна Каренина», book publication)
- Émile Zola – Une Page d'amour
Children and young people
- Hector Malot – Sans Famille (Nobody's Boy)
- Jules Verne – Dick Sand, A Captain at Fifteen (Un Capitaine de quinze ans)
- Evelyn Whitaker – Miss Toosey's Mission. A Tale
- José Echegaray – En el pilar y en la cruz (The Stake and the Cross)
Main article: 1878 in poetry
- François Callet – Tantara ny Andriana eto Madagasikara
- Richard Jefferies – The Gamekeeper at Home
- Friedrich Nietzsche – Human, All Too Human (Menschliches, Allzumenschliches)
- Robert Louis Stevenson – An Inland Voyage
- January 4 – A. E. Coppard, English short story writer and poet (died 1957)
- January 6 – Carl Sandburg, American poet and historian (died 1967)
- January 12 – Ferenc Molnár (Ferenc Neumann), Hungarian playwright and novelist (died 1952)
- March 14 – Victor Bridges, English novelist, playwright and poet (died 1972)
- April 15 – Robert Walser, Swiss author and poet writing in German (died 1956)
- June 1 – John Masefield, English poet (died 1967)
- June 12 – James Oliver Curwood, American author (died 1927)
- August 2 – Berta Ruck, Indian-born Welsh romantic novelist (died 1978)
- September 20 – Upton Sinclair, American novelist (died 1968)
- November 25 – Georg Kaiser, German dramatist (died 1945
- January 19 – Ede Szigligeti, Hungarian dramatist (born 1814)
- February 1 – George Cruikshank, English illustrator (born 1792)
- April 24 – Heinrich Leo, Prussian historian (born 1799)
- April 25 – Anna Sewell, English novelist (born 1820)
- May 28 – Sophie de Choiseul-Gouffier, Lithuanian novelist (born 1790)
- July 1 – Catherine Winkworth, English translator (born 1827)
- August 13
- November 17 – Karl Theodor Keim, German theologian (born 1825)
- December 5 – George Whyte-Melville, Scottish-born novelist (hunting accident, born 1821)
- December 19 – Bayard Taylor, American poet (born 1825)
- December 31 – Giulietta Pezzi, Italian novelist, journalist, and poet (born 1810)
- Autobiographical account published in his More Poetic Gems.
- Barnes, Julian (2009-11-05). "On We Sail". London Review of Books. Retrieved 2015-12-17.
- "History". The George Peabody Library. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University. 2005. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- Shearer, Moira (1998). Ellen Terry. Pocket Biographies. Stroud: Sutton Publishing. p. 69. ISBN 0-7509-1526-9.
- Camhi, Jeff (2013). A Dam in the River: Releasing the Flow of University Ideas. New York: Algora Publishing. p. 149. ISBN 978-0-87586-989-6. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Fontane, Theodor (2011). Hehle, Christine, ed. Vor dem Sturm. Roman aus dem Winter 1812 auf 13. Große Brandenburger Ausgabe, Das erzählerische Werk, Bd. 1 und 2 (in German). Berlin. ISBN 978-3-351-03114-5.
- Gondolo della Riva, Piero (1977). Bibliographie analytique de toutes les œuvres de Jules Verne. I. Société Jules Verne.
- Wilde, Oscar (1878), Ravenna, retrieved 2015-12-17.