1880 in archaeology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
The year 1880 in archaeology involved some significant events.
- William Matthew Flinders Petrie travels to Egypt and conducts a survey of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
- Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola and Juan Vilanova y Piera publish their initial findings on the Altamira cave art.
- The Journal of Hellenic Studies begins publication.
- April 11 - Julio C. Tello, Peruvian archaeologist (d. 1947)
- April 17 - Leonard Woolley, British archaeologist of Mesopotamia (d. 1960)