1885–86 Luton Town F.C. season
|FA Cup||First Round|
|Top goalscorer||League: no league entered
All: no goals scored
The 1885–86 season was the first season in the history of Luton Town Football Club. The club had been in existence for less than three months on the season's start, and as Luton did not enter any league competition the team's first competitive match came on 31 October, an FA Cup tie against Great Marlow which was lost 3–0.
This article covers the period from 1 July 1885 to 30 June 1886.
Luton Town Football Club was formed on 11 April 1885 at a meeting convened "for the purpose of considering the advisability of forming a town football club". The new club was a merger of the two leading local teams, Luton Town Wanderers and Excelsior; Excelsior's Dallow Lane became the home stadium of the new club. Some of the Wanderers players were not enthusiastic, as they had extended their name to Luton Town Wanderers only three months before; these players made the decision to continue separately to the new amalgamated club. Despite this, Luton Town's early line-ups consisted of six players from one of the former clubs and five from the other.
Luton Town results given first.
|1st Round||31 October 1885||Great Marlow||Away||0–3||500||—|||
- As the match played on 31 October 1885 was the only competitive game of the season, this section merely details that match's line-up.
|John Long||J.G. Hunt||B. Barrett||George Deacon|
|A. Martin||T. Lawrence||Albert Deacon|
|Ernest Lomax||J.C. Lomax|
- Player and match statistics sourced from: Bailey, Steve (December 1997). The Definitive Luton Town F.C. Soccerdata. ISBN 1-899468-10-2.
- All else sourced from: Collings, Timothy (1985). The Luton Town Story 1885-1985. Luton Town F.C. ISBN 0-9510679-0-7.
- and Hayes, Dean P. (November 2002). Completely Top Hatters!. The Book Castle. ISBN 1-903747-27-9.
- Collings (1985). p. 244.
- Collings (1985). p. 239.
- Collings (1985). pp. 1–4.
- Hayes (2002). p. 55.
- Bailey (1997). p. 89.