1885 in sports
|Years in sports:||1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s|
|Years:||1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888|
1885 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- FA Cup final – Blackburn Rovers 2–0 Queen's Park (Glasgow) at The Oval
- 20 July — the Football Association legitimises professionalism
- Millwall FC founded by workers on the Isle of Dogs as Millwall Rovers.
- Southampton FC founded as Southampton St Mary’s by members of St Mary’s Church YMCA.
- The Cuban Giants, composed mainly of African-American players from Philadelphia, is the first black professional baseball team on a reasonably permanent basis. It will sometimes join a league and use a regular home park but more often tour independently.
- 29 August — John L. Sullivan's six round defeat of Dominick McCaffrey in Chester Park, Cincinnati, inaugurates the modern World heavyweight boxing championship under Queensberry Rules. The bout is described as being "to decide the Marquess of Queensberry glove contest for the championship of the world". Sullivan will hold the title until 1892.
- World Middleweight Champion Jack (Nonpareil) Dempsey defeats 12 challengers during the year, most of them by knockouts.
- Future World Heavyweight Champion James J. Corbett is the most successful amateur boxer on America's Pacific Coast and takes part in an exhibition bout with Dempsey.
Lineal world champions
- World Heavyweight Championship – John L. Sullivan
- World Middleweight Championship – Jack Nonpareil Dempsey
- Nottinghamshire wins the county championship title for a third successive season
- Champion County – Nottinghamshire
- Most runs – Walter Read 1,880 @ 44.76 (HS 163)
- Most wickets – George Lohmann 142 @ 14.36 (BB 8–18)
- Grand National – Roquefort
- 1,000 Guineas Stakes – Farewell
- 2,000 Guineas Stakes – Paradox
- The Derby – Melton
- The Oaks – Lonely
- St. Leger Stakes – Melton
- Melbourne Cup – Sheet Anchor
- Queen's Plate – Willie W.
- 31 January — the Montreal Hockey Club defeats the McGill University 1–0 to win the 1885 Montreal Winter Carnival Ice Hockey Tournament
The Boat Race
Home Nations Championship
- The 3rd series of the Home Nations Championship is not completed
- Wimbledon Men's Singles Championship – William Renshaw (GB) defeats Herbert Lawford (GB) 7–5 6–2 4–6 7–5
- Wimbledon Women's Singles Championship – Maud Watson (GB) defeats Blanche Bingley (GB) 6–1 7–5
- American Men's Singles Championship – Richard D. Sears (USA) defeats Godfrey M. Brinley (USA) 6–3 4–6 6–0 6–3
- The New York Yacht Club retains the America's Cup as Puritan defeats British challenger Genesta, of the Royal Yacht Squadron, 2 races to 0
- Cyber Boxing Zone – Lineal Heavyweight Champions. Retrieved on 6 June 2009. Archived 2009-06-08.
- Cyber Boxing Zone – John L Sullivan. Retrieved on 13 November 2009.
- Cyber Boxing Zone – Jack Nonpareil Dempsey. Retrieved on 13 November 2009.
- Cyber Boxing Zone – James J Corbett. Retrieved on 13 November 2009.
- "Cyber Boxing Zone". Archived from the original on 2009-06-20. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- A semi-official seasonal title proclaimed by media consensus prior to December 1889 when the official County Championship is constituted.