1886 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The year 1886 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- Patrick Manogue, Sacramento's first bishop, acquires the land to build the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in the United States, designed by Bryan J. Klinch.
- June 30 - Founder's Building at Royal Holloway College for women, Egham, near London, designed by William Henry Crossland.
- July - Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, designed by Christian Jank and realized by Eduard Riedel, is opened to the public, although incomplete.
- October 28 - Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor, United States, designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi with engineering by Gustave Eiffel and Maurice Koechlin.
- October 31 - Dom Luís Bridge in Porto, designed by Téophile Seyrig.
- Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines, designed by John C. Cochrane and Alfred H. Piquenard
- National Assembly building in Sofia, designed by Konstantin Jovanović.
- Hotel Cecil, London, United Kingdom, designed by Perry & Reed.
- Oulu City Hall, Finland, designed by Johan Erik Stenberg.
- Royal Gold Medal - Charles Garnier.
- Grand Prix de Rome, architecture: Albert Louvet (First Prize & Second).
- March 27
- July 27 - Ernst May, German architect and city planner (died 1970)
- Yehuda Magidovitch, Ukrainian-born Israeli architect (died 1961)
- April 18 - Sancton Wood, English railway station architect (born 1815)
- April 27 - Henry Hobson Richardson, American architect (born 1838)
- July 17 - David Stevenson, Scottish lighthouse engineer (born 1815)
- October 6 - E. W. Godwin, English architect and designer (born 1833)
- November 4 - George Devey, English country house architect (born 1820)
- Diocese of Sacramento (2005). The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament. Editions Du Signe. p. 8.
- Khan, Yasmin Sabina (2010). Enlightening the World: The Creation of the Statue of Liberty. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press. p. 176. ISBN 978-0-8014-4851-5.
- "Main building". City of Oulu. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- Schulze, Franz (1985). Mies Van Der Rohe; A Critical Biography. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-74059-5.
- Henderson, Susan Rose (1990). The work of Ernst May, 1919-1930, part 1.
- O'Gorman, James F. (1997). Living Architecture: A Biography of H. H. Richardson. New York: Simon & Schuster. p. 188. ISBN 978-0-684-83618-8.