1889 in Australia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Arts and literature
- 17 August - The 9 by 5 Impression Exhibition, featuring works by Tom Roberts, Arthur Streeton and Charles Conder, was opened in Melbourne.
- 21 December – The poem "Clancy of the Overflow", by Banjo Paterson, is first published in The Bulletin magazine.
- Bravo wins the Melbourne Cup
- 5 October - Norwood defeat Port Adelaide by 2 goals to win the 1889 SAFA Grand Final, the first Grand Final in Australian rules football.
- 18 April - Jessie Street, feminist and suffragette (died 1970)
- 20 April - Robert Butler, politician (died 1950)
- 18 September - Doris Blackburn, politician (died 1970)
- 27 October - Fanny Durack, swimmer (died 1956)