1890 in film
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in film|
The following is an overview of the events of 1890 in film, including a list of films released and notable births and deaths.
- The first moving pictures developed on celluloid film by William Friese Greene, a British inventor, were made in Hyde Park, London in 1889 and the process was patented in 1890.
- William Kennedy Dickson completes his work for Thomas Edison on the Kinetograph cylinder either in this year or 1889. Monkeyshines No. 1 becomes the first film shot on the system.
- London's Trafalgar Square, directed by William Carr Croft and Wordsworth Donisthorpe.
- Monkeyshines, No. 1 - contradictory sources indicate this was shot either in June 1889 or November 1890, Monkeyshines, No. 2 and Monkeyshines, No. 3, directed by William K. L. Dickson.
- Mosquinha, directed by Étienne-Jules Marey.
- Traffic in King's Road, Chelsea, directed by William Friese-Greene.
- January 10 - Pina Menichelli, Italian actress (died 1984)
- January 30 - Bruno Kastner, German actor (died 1932)
- February 18 - Adolphe Menjou, American actor (died 1963)
- February 24 - Marjorie Main, American actress (died 1974)
- May 23 - Herbert Marshall, British actor (died 1966)
- June 10 - William A. Seiter, American film director (died 1964)
- June 14 - May Allison, American actress (died 1989)
- June 16 - Stan Laurel, British actor (died 1965)
- June 18 - Gideon Wahlberg, Swedish actor, screenwriter and film director (died 1948)
- August 2 - Marin Sais, American actress (died 1971)
- August 27 - Man Ray, American photographer and director (died 1976)
- September 4
- October 1 - Stanley Holloway, British actor (died 1982)
- October 2 - Groucho Marx, American comedian, actor (died 1977)
- Burns, Paul T, The History of The Discovery of Cinematography - 1885 - 1889, archived from the original on 2009-05-13, retrieved 2009-05-10 and Ten Remaining Frames Of Donisthorpe's 1890 'Trafalgar Square' Footage Come To Life (GIF), retrieved 2009-05-10
Media related to 1890 in film at Wikimedia Commons