1891 in film
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in film|
The following is an overview of the events of 1891 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
- W.K. Laurie Dickson supervises the construction of the first movie studio called the "Black Maria" in West Orange, New Jersey which produces many of the early Kinetoscope short films of the 1890s later seen in penny arcades the following year after the studio is completed.
- March - W.K. Laurie Dickson, an assistant to Thomas Edison, successfully develops a working prototype of the Kinetoscope which moves horizontally.
- May 20 - First public display of Thomas Alva Edison's prototype horizontal kinetoscope as Dickson Greeting, is shown at Edison's Laboratory for a convention of the National Federation of Women's Clubs in West Orange, New Jersey.
- August 24 - Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. (which he receives in 1897).
Films released in 1891
- Dickson Greeting, directed by William K. L. Dickson
- Men Boxing, directed by William K. L. Dickson
- Newark Athlete, directed by William K. L. Dickson
- February 7 - Ann Little, American actress (died 1984)
- February 9 - Ronald Colman, English actor (died 1958)
- March 6 - Victor Kilian, American actor (died 1979)
- March 8 - Sam Jaffe, American actor (died 1984)
- March 6 - Lidia Quaranta, Italian actress (died 1928)
- March 11 - Gertrud Wolle, German actress (died 1952)
- March 31 - Victor Varconi, Hungarian-born American actor (died 1976)
- April 2 - Jack Buchanan, Scottish director, writer, and actor (died 1957)
- April 10 - Tim McCoy, American cowboy actor, soldier (died 1978)
- April 15 – Wallace Reid, American actor (died 1923)
- April 23 - Sergei Prokofiev, Russian composer (died 1953)
- May 13 - Fritz Rasp, German actor (died 1976)
- June 24 - Philippe Richard, French actor (d. 1973)
- July 18 - Gene Lockhart, Canadian actor (died 1957)
- July 23 - Harry Cohn, American co-founder of CBS Sales Association (Columbia Pictures) (died 1958)
- July 28 - Joe E. Brown, American actor and comedian (died 1973)
- August 4 - Margit Makay, Hungarian actress (died 1989)
- November 10 - Philip Sainton, French-British composer (died 1967)
- November 18 - Vasil Gendov, Bulgarian actor, director and screenwriter (died 1970)
Media related to 1891 in film at Wikimedia Commons