1894 San Juan earthquake
|Local date||October 27, 1894|
|Max. intensity||IX (Violent)|
The 1894 San Juan earthquake took place in the province of San Juan, Argentina, on 27 October 1894, at about 07:30 PM. It was the most powerful earthquake recorded in Argentina, with magnitude 7.5 on the surface wave magnitude scale. Its epicenter was located to the northwest of San Juan, approximately at , and at a depth of 30 km.
The maximum perceived intensity for the earthquake was IX (Violent) on the Mercalli intensity scale. It caused severe damage and about 100 casualties in San Juan and the province of La Rioja, and also caused minor damage in Catamarca, Córdoba, San Luis and Mendoza, up to 500 km away from the epicenter.
- National Geophysical Data Center. "Significant earthquake". Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Instituto Nacional de Prevención Sísmica. "Listado de Terremotos Históricos" (in Spanish). Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Perucca, L.P.; Moreiras S.M. (2009). "Seismic and Volcanic Hazards in Argentina". In Latrubesse E. (ed.). Natural Hazards and Human-Exacerbated Disasters in Latin America: Special Volumes of Geomorphology. Elsevier. ISBN 9780444531179.
- (in Spanish) Instituto Nacional de Prevención Sísmica. Listado de Terremotos Históricos.
- Dauer, Quinn (2012). Natural Disasters and Comparative State-Formation and Nation-Building: Earthquakes in Argentina and Chile (1822–1939) (PhD). FIU Electronic Theses and Dissertations. doi:10.25148/etd.FI12120403.
|This article article about the history of Argentina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an earthquake is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|