From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009)
- January - A cyclone hits the north west of Western Australia, killing approximately 50 persons
- 28 June - A Colonial Conference, held in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, resolves to lay a telegraph cable between Canada and Australia.
- 22 October - Martha Needle is hanged in Melbourne Gaol for the poisoning of her husband, and three children, in an attempt to obtain money from insurance policies.
- 10 November - Jandamarra, an Indigenous Australian of the Bunuba people, leads one of the few armed insurrections against Europeans.
- 18 December - South Australia is the first colony to legislate women equal franchise with men, taking effect in 1895.
- The Australian Workers' Union is formed from the joining of the Amalgamated Shearers' Union of Australia and the General Labourers' Union.
Science and technology
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
Arts and literature
- The novel Seven Little Australians is published by Ethel Turner