From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Mahatma Gandhi becomes the first Indian to be enrolled as an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Natal.
- Unknown date
- 12 March – Willem Lambertus van Warmelo, compiler of Afrikaanse Liedjies, born in the Netherlands.
- 23 August – Andries Albertus Pienaar, author under the pen name Sangiro, born in Broederstroom. (d. 1979)
- 5 October – Bevil Rudd, South African athlete. (d. 1948)
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2013)
Railway lines opened
- 3 October – Cape Western – Vryburg to Mafeking, 96 miles (154.5 kilometres).
- 18 November – Transvaal – Airlie to Pretoria, 179 miles (288.1 kilometres).
- ^ The South African Railways - Historical Survey. Editor George Hart, Publisher Bill Hart, Sponsored by Dorbyl Ltd., Published c. 1978, p. 20.
- ^ a b c Statement Showing, in Chronological Order, the Date of Opening and the Mileage of Each Section of Railway, Statement No. 19, p. 183, ref. no. 200954-13
- ^ Holland, D.F. (1972). Steam Locomotives of the South African Railways, Volume 2: 1910-1955 (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, Devon: David & Charles. pp. 122–124. ISBN 978-0-7153-5427-8.
- ^ Paxton, Leith; Bourne, David (1985). Locomotives of the South African Railways (1st ed.). Cape Town: Struik. pp. 25–26. ISBN 0869772112.
- ^ Holland, D.F. (1971). Steam Locomotives of the South African Railways, Volume 1: 1859-1910 (1st ed.). Newton Abbott, Devon: David & Charles. pp. 115–117, 126. ISBN 978-0-7153-5382-0.