From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)
The following is an overview of the events of 1894 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
- January 7
- April 14 - The first commercial presentation of the Kinetoscope took place in the Holland Brothers' Kinetoscope Parlor at 1155 Broadway, New York City.
- June 6 - Charles Francis Jenkins projects a filmed motion picture before an audience in Richmond, Indiana. Earliest documented projection of a motion picture.
- Thomas Edison experiments with synchronizing audio with film; the Kinetophone is invented which loosely synchronizes a Kinetoscope image with a cylinder phonograph.
- Kinetoscope viewing parlors begin to open in major cities. Each parlor contains several machines.
- Birt Acres creates a 70 mm format, which he first uses to shoot the Henley Royal Regatta.
Films released in 1894
- Annie Oakley
- Annabelle Butterfly Dance, directed by William K. L. Dickson, starring Annabelle Moore
- Autour d'une cabine, directed by Charles-Émile Reynaud
- Athlete with Wand
- Boxing Cats (Prof. Welton's), directed by William K. L. Dickson. May be the first comedy film ever made.
- Bucking Broncho, directed by William K. L. Dickson
- Buffalo Dance, directed by William K. L. Dickson
- Caicedo (with Pole)
- Carmencita, directed by William K. L. Dickson
- Chinese Laundry Scene (Robetta and Doretto, No. 2)
- Chinese Opium Den
- Cock Fight, No. 2
- Corbett and Courtney Before the Kinetograph, directed by William K. L. Dickson, starring James J. Corbett
- Falling Cat, directed by Étienne-Jules Marey
- Fire Rescue Scene
- Fred Ott's Sneeze (Edison Kinetoscopic Record of a Sneeze)
- Fred Ott Holding a Bird
- Glenroy Bros, directed by William K. L. Dickson. One of the earliest comedy films ever made.
- Hadj Cheriff
- The Hornbacker-Murphy Fight
- Imperial Japanese Dance
- Leonard-Cushing Fight
- Luis Martinetti, Contortionist
- Miss Jerry
- Rêve au coin du feu, directed by Charles-Émile Reynaud
- (Sandow No. 1) Souvenir Strip of the Edison Kinetoscope
- Sandow No. 2
- Sandow No. 3
- Sioux Ghost Dance
- January 3 - ZaSu Pitts, American actress (d. 1963)
- February 8 - King Vidor, American actor and director (d. 1982)
- February 14 - Jack Benny, American comedian (d. 1974)
- May 20 - Estelle Taylor, American actress (d. 1958)
- May 26 - Norma Talmadge, American actress (d. 1957)
- June 16 - Norman Kerry, American actor (d. 1956)
- July 25 - Walter Brennan, American actor (d. 1974)
- July 27 - Mientje Kling, Dutch actress (d. 1966)
- September 15 - Jean Renoir, French director (d. 1979)
- September 27 - Olive Tell, American actress (d. 1951)
- October 7 - Del Lord, Canadian pioneer Hollywood director (d. 1970)
- October 20 - Olive Thomas, American actress (d. 1920)
- October 27 - Agda Helin, Swedish actress (d. 1984)
- November 9 - Mae Marsh, American actress (d. 1968)
- November 13 - Nita Naldi, American actress (d. 1961)
- December 8 - Marthe Vinot, French actress (d. 1974)
Media related to 1894 in film at Wikimedia Commons