1896 College Football All-America Team
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 1896 College Football All-America team is composed of college football players who were selected as All-Americans for the 1896 college football season, as selected by Caspar Whitney for Harper's Weekly and the Walter Camp Football Foundation.
All-American selections for 1896
- WC = Walter Camp Football Foundation
- CW = Caspar Whitney, published in Harper's Weekly magazine.
- PI = Philadelphia Inquirer
- NYW = The World of New York selected by Harry Beecher
- LES = Leslie's Weekly by W. T. Bull
- Bold = Consensus All-American
- Norman Cabot, Harvard (WC-1; PI-1; NYW-1; LES-1)
- Charles Gelbert, Penn (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; PI-1; LES-1 [back])
- Garrett Cochran, Princeton (NYW-1; LES-2)
- Lyman M. Bass, Yale (LES-1)
- Louis Hinkey, Yale (LES-2)
- William W. Church, Princeton (WC-1; PI-1; NYW-1; LES-1)
- Fred T. Murphy, Yale (WC-1; NYW-1; LES-1)
- Percy Haughton, Harvard (College Football Hall of Fame) (PI-1; LES-2)
- James O. Rodgers, Yale (LES-2)
- Charles Wharton, Penn (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; PI-1)
- Wylie G. Woodruff, Penn (WC-1; PI-1; NYW-1; LES-1)
- Shaw, Harvard (LES-2; NYW-1)
- Crowdis, Princeton (LES-1)
- L. J. Uffenheimer, Penn (LES-2)
- Clarence Fincke, Yale (WC-1; PI-1; NYW-1; LES-1)
- F. L. Smith, Princeton (LES-2)
- Edgar Wrightington, Harvard (WC-1; PI-1; NYW-1)
- Addison Kelly, Princeton (WC-1; PI-1; NYW-1; LES-2)
- John William Dunlop, Harvard (LES-1)
- William Bannard, Princeton (LES-2)
- John Baird, Princeton (WC-1; NYW-1; LES-1)
- John Minds, Penn (College Football Hall of Fame) (PI-1)
- Edward Newcomb Wrightington, Harvard (LES-2)
- "Walter Camp Football Foundation".
- "The Inquirer's All-American Team: This Organization is a Hard One to Pick, but Here is the Best". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 1896-11-29.
- "Sunday World's All-America Football Team". The World. 1896-11-29.
- "All-America Addendum" (PDF). College Football Historical Society Newsletter. February 2001.
- "2014 NCAA Football Records: Consensus All-America Selections" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 2014. p. 4. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- There were two players on the 1896 Harvard team with the surname Shaw: Francis George Shaw, '97, and James Ebenezer Norton Shaw, '98.