1897 College Football All-America Team
The 1897 College Football All-America team is composed of college football players who were selected as All-Americans for the 1897 college football season, as selected by Walter Camp for Harper's Weekly. Caspar Whitney had selected the Harper's Weekly All-American Team from 1891 to 1896, but Whitney was on a world's sports tour during the 1897 season, and Camp therefore substituted for Whitney.
All-American selections for 1897
- WC = Walter Camp for Harper's Weekly
- OUT = Outing Magazine
- NYS = New York Sun
- LES = Leslie's Weekly by W. T. Bull
- Bold = Consensus All-American
- Garrett Cochran, Princeton (WC-1; OUT-1; NYS-1; LES-1)
- John A. Hall, Yale (WC-1; OUT-2; NYS-2; LES-2)
- Sam Boyle, Penn (WC-2; OUT-1; LES-1)
- William McKeever, Cornell (WC-2)
- John Babcock Moulton, Harvard (WC-3; NYS-1)
- Lyndon S. Tracy, Cornell (WC-3)
- Norman Cabot, Harvard (NYS-2; LES-2)
- Craig, Princeton (NYS-2)
- Josiah J. Hazen, Yale (OUT-2)
- Burr Chamberlain, Yale (WC-1; OUT-1; NYS-1; LES-1)
- John H. Outland, Penn (Namesake of the Outland Trophy and College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; LES-1)
- James O. Rodgers, Yale (WC-2; OUT-1; NYS-2; LES-2)
- Wallace B. Scales, Army (WC-2; NYS-2)
- Art Hillebrand, Princeton (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-3; OUT-2; NYS-1)
- Malcolm Donald, Harvard (WC-3)
- S. M. Goodman, Penn (OUT-2)
- Chester Odiorne Swain, Harvard (LES-2)
- Truxtun Hare, Penn (WC; HW; NYS-1; LES-2)
- Gordon Brown, Yale (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC; HW; NYS-2; LES-1)
- Charles Chadwick, Yale (WC-2; OUT-2; LES-1)
- Charles Rinehart, Lafayette (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-2; OUT-1)
- George Winthrop Bouve, Harvard (WC-3; OUT-1; NYS-1; LES-2)
- Josiah McCracken, Penn (WC-3; OUT-2)
- Edwards, Princeton (NYS-2)
- Allan Doucette, Harvard (WC-1; OUT-2; NYS-1; LES-2)
- George Cadwalader, Yale (WC-2; OUT-1; LES-1)
- Pete Overfield, Penn (WC-3)
- Charles de Saulles, Yale (WC-1; NYS-1; LES-1)
- George Young, Cornell (WC-2; OUT-1)
- John Baird, Princeton (WC-3; OUT-2; NYS-1 [as fb]; LES-2)
- Leon Kromer, Army (NYS-2)
- David Weeks, Penn (NYS-2)
- Benjamin Dibblee, Harvard (WC-1; OUT-1; NYS-1; LES-2)
- Addison Kelly, Princeton (WC-1; OUT-1; NYS-2; LES-2)
- Dave Fultz, Brown (WC-2; OUT-2; NYS-1; LES-1)
- William F. Nesbitt, Army (WC-2)
- William Bannard, Princeton (WC-3; NYS-2)
- George B. Walbridge, Lafayette (WC-3)
- Charles T. Dudley, Yale (OUT-2; NYS-2)
- John Minds, Penn (College Football Hall of Fame) (WC-1; OUT-1; NYS-2; LES-1)
- Malcolm McBride, Yale (WC-2; NYS-2; LES-2)
- Powell Wheeler, Princeton (WC-3; LES-1)
- Edward G. Bray, Lafayette (OUT-2)
- "Camp's Champion Eleven: Chamberlin, Brown, De Saulles and Hall of Yale All-American Leaders". New Haven Evening Register. 1897-12-08.
- "A Brief Review of the Football Season" (PDF). The Outing Magazine. Jan 1898.
- "An Arduous Task: The Choosing of an All American Representative Football Team". Evening News. Lincoln, Nebraska. 1897-12-15 – via reprinted from New York Sun.
- "All-America Addendum" (PDF). College Football Historical Society Newsletter. February 2001.
- "2014 NCAA Football Records: Consensus All-America Selections" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 2014. p. 4. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "Yale Revives Early Work Preliminary Practice, Discarded Early in October, Again in Evidence". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 1898-11-08.