1897 Wimbledon Championships
|1897 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||21 June – 1 July|
London, United Kingdom
|Venue||All England Lawn Tennis Club|
|Laurence Doherty / Reginald Doherty|
The 1897 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament ran from 21 June until 1 July. It was the 21st staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the first Grand Slam tennis event of 1897. No matches were played on the first Tuesday to mark Queen Victoria's jubilee. Reginald Doherty defeated Harold Mahony in the Challenge Round, and successfully defended his title for the next three years.
- 2010 Wimbledon Compendium, by Alan Little (The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London)
- Wimbledon - The Official History of the Championships, John Barrett, Collins Willow 2001 (the source of this draw)
- Little, Alan (2013). 2013 Wimbledon Compendium (23rd ed.). London: The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. p. 57. ISBN 978-1899039401.
- "Gentlemen's Singles Finals 1877-2016". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "British Tennis Champion Defeated". The New York Times. July 1, 1897.
- "Ladies' Singles Finals 1884-2016". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Gentlemen's Doubles Finals 1884-2016". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
1896 U.S. National Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1897 U.S. National Championships