1897 in India
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1897 in India.
- The Indian famine of 1896–97 comes to a close
- Scindia School is established in Gwalior
- Frontier War of 1897–98
- Battle of Saragarhi
- June 12 – The 8.0 Mw Assam earthquake shook northeastern India with a maximum Mercalli intensity of X (Extreme), killing 1,542.
- 23 January – Subhas Chandra Bose, one of the leaders of the Indian independence movement (dies 1945).
- 8 February – Zakir Hussain, politician and third President of India (dies 1969).
- 19 April – Peter de Noronha, businessman, philanthropist and civil servant (dies 1970).
- 26 April – Nitin Bose, Indian film director, cinematographer and screenwriter (dies 1986)
- 3 May – V. K. Krishna Menon, nationalist and politician (dies 1974).
- 2 November – Sohrab Modi, Indian Parsi stage and film actor, director and producer (dies 1984)
- Sahana Devi Indian singer and niece of Chittaranjan Das is born (dies 1990)
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 262
|This year in India article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|