1897 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1897 in India.
- The Indian famine of 1896–97 comes to a close
- Scindia School is established in Gwalior
- Frontier War of 1897-98
- Battle of Saragarhi
- 23 January — Subhas Chandra Bose, one of the leaders of the Indian independence movement (dies 1945).
- 8 February — Zakir Hussain, politician and third President of India (dies 1969).
- 19 April — Peter de Noronha, businessman, philanthropist and civil servant (dies 1970).
- 26 April — Nitin Bose, Indian film director, cinematographer and screenwriter (dies 1986)
- 3 May — V. K. Krishna Menon, nationalist and politician (dies 1974).
- 2 November — Sohrab Modi, Indian Parsi stage and film actor, director and producer (dies 1984)
- Sahana Devi Indian singer and niece of Chittaranjan Das is born (dies 1990)
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 262
|This year in India article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|