1897 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- April 3 – Vienna Secession founded by artists including Gustav Klimt, Koloman Moser, Josef Hoffmann, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Max Kurzweil. Secession hall designed by Olbrich.
- May 1 – Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek art museum opened in Copenhagen.
- May 27 – A Separate Exhibition of Painting and Sculpture (Wystawa osobna obrazów i rzeźb) is staged at Sukiennice Museum in Main Square, Kraków.
- August 4 – The "Lady of Elche" Iberian sculpture (4th century BCE) is found at L'Alcúdia near Elche in Spain.
- September – Edvard Munch stages a major retrospective in Christiania.
- October 27 – First meeting of the Society of Polish Artists "Sztuka" in Kraków.
- At Giverny, Claude Monet begins painting his Water Lilies series, which will continue until the end of his life.
- Elbridge Ayer Burbank begins painting portraits of Native Americans in the United States from life.
- Women photographers Zaida Ben-Yusuf and Gertrude Käsebier open portrait studios in New York City.
- A Book of Fifty Drawings by Aubrey Beardsley is published.
- Bernard Berenson publishes Central Italian Painters of the Renaissance.
- Georges Clairin – Sarah Bernhardt as the Queen in 'Ruy Blas'
- Herbert James Draper – Pot Pourri
- Roberto Ferruzzi – Madonnina
- Akseli Gallen-Kallela – Lemminkäinen's Mother
- Paul Gauguin – Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?
- Ogata Gekkō – Ryu sho ten (published 1898)
- J. W. Godward – Dolce far Niente (first version)
- Jean-Jacques Henner – Portrait of Mlle Fouquier
- Jacek Malczewski – Vicious Circle
- Claude Monet
- Edvard Munch – The Kiss
- Camille Pissarro
- Maurice Prendergast – Summer Visitors
- Henri Rousseau – The Sleeping Gypsy
- John Singer Sargent – Mr. and Mrs. I. N. Phelps Stokes
- Henryk Siemiradzki – A Christian Dirce
- Douglas Tilden – Admission Day Monument, San Francisco
- Vasily Vereshchagin – Napoleon near Borodino
- Arthur Wardle – The Totteridge XI
- Painters under the direction of Jan Styka – Transylvania Panorama (Lwów)
- January 17 – Charles Ragland Bunnell, American painter (died 1968)
- January 21 – René Iché, French sculptor (died 1954)
- March 16 – Antonio Donghi, Italian painter (died 1963)
- June 22 – Albert Renger-Patzsch, German photographer (died 1966)
- June 26 – Victor Servranckx, Belgian painter (died 1965)
- August 19 – Roman Vishniac, Russian American photographer (died 1990)
- September 23 – Paul Delvaux, Belgian painter (died 1994).
- October 27 – Lena Gurr, American painter and lithographer (died 1992)
- February 7 – Charles Edward Boutibonne, French Classicist painter (born 1816)
- March 21 – Ādams Alksnis, Latvian painter (born 1864)
- June 7 – Victor Mottez, French fresco and portrait painter (born 1809)
- October 5 – Sir John Gilbert, painter (born 1817)
- November 18 – Henry Doulton, potter (born 1820)
- date unknown – Owon (Jang Seung-eop), Korean painter (born 1843)
- Krzysztofowicz-Kozakowska, Stefania (2006). "Sztuka, Wiener Secession, Mánes: The Central European Art Triangle". Artibus et Historiae. 27 (53): 217–259. doi:10.2307/20067117. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Brzyski, Anna (2007). "Making Art in the Age of Art History". Partisan Canons. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. pp. 257–66. ISBN 0822340852.
- Brzyski, Anna (transl.) (1899), Report of the Committee of the Association of Polish Artists "Sztuka" for the year 1898 (PDF), 19, Warsaw: Tygodnik Ilustrowany, p. 379, retrieved 2012-11-11
- Souter, Nick; Tessa (2012). The Illustration Handbook: A Guide to the World's Greatest Illustrators. Oceana. p. 41. ISBN 978-1-84573-473-2.