1897 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1897 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1897.
Spanish Colonial Government
Philippine Revolutionary Government (Tejeros Government)
Republic of Biak-na-Bato
- January 4 – Eleven of fifteen Filipinos which would be called the Fifteen Martyrs of Bicol are executed in Bagumbayan.
- January 11 – Thirteen Filipinos which would be called the Thirteen Martyrs of Bagumbayan are executed.
- February 6
- February 13 – Governor-General Camilo de Polavieja began his campaign with 16,000 Spanish soldiers to regain Cavite from Filipino revolutionaries.
- February 17 – Filipino forces lost in the Battle of Zapote Bridge occurred in the boundary of Las Piñas and Cavite.
- February 19 – Spaniards recaptures Silang, Cavite in a battle.
- February 25 – Spaniards recaptures Dasmariñas, Cavite in a battle.
- March 22 – The two factions of the Katipunan convened at the Tejeros Convention to resolve the leadership status in the organization.
- March 23 – Nineteen Filipinos which would be called the Nineteen Martyrs of Aklan are executed in Kalibo.
- May 10 – Andrés Bonifacio and his brother Procopio Bonifacio were killed in Maragondon, Cavite.
- November 1 – The Republic of Biak-na-Bato was established by Emilio Aguinaldo and his fellow revolutionaries, the first republic to be established in the Philippines.
- December 14 – The Pact of Biak-na-Bato was signed between Governor-General Fernando Primo de Rivera and Emilio Aguinaldo to end the Philippine Revolution.
- January 23 - Ildefonso Santos, Filipino poet, sculptor, and writer
- March 3 - Jose E. Romero, Filipino politician
- June 29 - George J. Willmann, Naturalized Filipino missionary from the United States. (d. 1977)
- December 3 - Elisa Ochoa, first Filipina in the Congress of the Philippines (d. 1978)
- January 4 – Executed eleven of the Fifteen Martyrs of Bicol.
- January 11 – Executed Thirteen Martyrs of Bagumbayan.
- February 6 – Executed members of Katipunan:
- February 17 - Edilberto Evangelista, Filipino civil engineer and general (b. 1862)
- March 23 – Executed Nineteen Martyrs of Aklan.
- May 10 - Andrés Bonifacio, Filipino nationalist and revolutionary; one of the founders of Katipunan (b. 1863)
- Those executed after January 11, 1897:
- Hugo Perez
- Pedro Joson
- Marcello de los Santos Esguerra
- Eugenio de los Reyes y Herrera
- Valentin Matias Lagasca y Cruz
- Reyno, Ma. Cielito (Sep 7, 2012). "Events of February 1897". NHCP. Retrieved Mar 16, 2018.
- "Philippine History – Martyrs of the Philippine Revolution". Filipino.biz.ph. 2009. Retrieved Mar 16, 2018.
- Aguinaldo 1899