1898 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team
|1898 Minnesota Golden Gophers football|
|1898 record||4–5 (1–2 Western)|
|Head coach||Jack Minds (1st year)|
|Captain||Henry A. Scandrett|
|1898 Western Conference football standings|
The 1898 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team represented the University of Minnesota in the 1898 Western Conference football season. In their first and only season under head coach Jack Minds, the Golden Gophers compiled a 4–5 record (1–2 against Western Conference opponents), finished in fifth place in the conference, and outscored their opponents by a combined total of 92 to 73.
The 1898 season for Minnesota was one of adversity, including bad weather and a mid-season injury to the team's captain.:27 Coach Jack Minds was a fullback and kicker at the University of Pennsylvania.:312
On Thanksgiving Day 1898, Minnesota and Illinois played a football game for the first time in the two programs' history. A big storm had come through the previous day, but John Pillsbury (the student manager) put together a crew and worked overnight using horse-drawn plows to clear the field. The game itself was delayed several times when the ball was lost in snow drifts on the side of the field:21 and the temperature fell to about 10 below zero when the game was called at noon.:27 Illinois won the game 11–10.
|October 1||Carleton*||Minneapolis, MN||W 32–0|
|October 5||Alumni*||Minneapolis, MN||L 0–5|
|October 8||Rush*||Minneapolis, MN||W 12–0|
|October 15||Grinnell*||Minneapolis, MN||L 6–16|
|October 22||Iowa State*||Minneapolis, MN||L 0–6|
|October 29||at Wisconsin||Madison, WI (Rivalry)||L 0–28|
|November 5||North Dakota*||Minneapolis, MN||W 15–0|
|November 12||Northwestern||Minneapolis, MN||W 17–6|
|November 24||Illinois||Minneapolis, MN||L 10–11|
- Ends, Henry A. Scandrett (captain and left end), von Schlegell (right end)
- Tackles, Otte (left tackle), Nicoulin (right tackle)
- Guards, Parry (left guard), Aune (right guard)
- Center, Page
- Quarterback, Kienholtz
- Halfbacks Bernhagen (left halfback), Cameron (right halfback)
- Fullback, Shepley
- Trainer, John Wirtensohn
- Coach, Jack Minds.:64
- "Minnesota Yearly Results (1895-1899)". College Football Data Warehouse. David DeLassus. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- The General Alumni Association (1928). Martin Newell, ed. The History of Minnesota Football. The General Alumni Association of the University of Minnesota.
- University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletics (2004). Jeff Keiser; Shane Sanderfeld, eds. Minnesota Football 2004 Media Guide. University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletics Communications.
- Rainbolt, Richard (1972). Gold Glory. Wayzata, Minnesota: Ralph Turtinen Publishing.