1899 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team
|1899 Minnesota Golden Gophers football|
|1899 record||6–3–2 (0–3 Western)|
|Head coach||William C. Leary and John Harrison (1st season)|
|Home stadium||Northrop Field|
|1899 Western Conference football standings|
The 1899 Minnesota Golden Gophers football team represented the University of Minnesota in the 1899 college football season. The Golden Gophers compiled a 6–3–2 record (0–3 against Western Conference opponents) and outscored all opponents by a combined total of 149 to 79.
William C. "Bill" Leary and John Harrison were head coaches for the 1899 season. They coached the team as a part of a new alumni coaching program. Although most around the program considered the experiment a success, the program was discontinued with the hiring of the University's first full-time salaried coach, Henry L. Williams.:15 The 1899 season was the only season under head coaches Leary and Harrison. This season's 0–3 record left Minnesota in a last place tie with Illinois.
Northrop Field was first used as the home field of the University of Minnesota this year with most of the credit for securing it going to former coach Frederick S. Jones and former Governor John S. Pillsbury.:11:27
|September 26||Minneapolis Central High*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||W 20–0|
|October 3||Macalester*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||W 29–0|
|October 7||Shattuck*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||W 40–0|
|October 14||Carleton*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||W 35–5|
|October 21||Iowa State*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||W 6–0|
|October 28||Grinnell*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||T 5–5|
|November 4||Northwestern||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||L 5–11|
|November 8||Alumni*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||W 6–5|
|November 11||Beloit*||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN||T 5–5|
|November 18||Wisconsin||Northrop Field • Minneapolis, MN (Rivalry)||L 0–19|
|November 25||at Chicago||Marshall Field • Chicago, IL||L 0–29|
- Ends, Dobie (left end), Scandrett (captain and right end) and Fosseen (right end)
- Tackles, Otte, Gray (left tackle), Hoyt, Mueller (right tackle)
- Guards, Aune (left guard), Tifft, Flynn (right guard)
- Center, Page
- Quarterback, Cole, Rogers
- Halfbacks, Evans, Bernhagen (left half), Kienholtz, Freeman (right half)
- Fullback, Glover.:70
- "Minnesota Yearly Results (1895-1899)". College Football Data Warehouse. David DeLassus. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- Men's Intercollegiate Athletic Department of the University of Minnesota (1981). Ralph Turtinen, ed. 100 Years of Golden Gopher Football. John Roberts.
- The General Alumni Association (1928). Martin Newell, ed. The History of Minnesota Football. The General Alumni Association of the University of Minnesota.