|Factorization||2 × 32|
|Divisors||1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 18|
|Look up eighteen in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Eighteen is a composite number, its divisors being 1, 2, 3, 6 and 9. Three of these divisors (3, 6 and 9) add up to 18, hence 18 is a semiperfect number. Eighteen is the first inverted square-prime of the form p·q2.
- In base ten, it is a Harshad number.
- It is an abundant number, as the sum of its proper divisors is greater than itself (1+2+3+6+9 = 21). It is known to be a solitary number, despite not being coprime to this sum.
- It is the number of one-sided pentominoes.
- Eighteen is the atomic number of argon.
- Group 18 of the periodic table is called the noble gases.
- The 18-electron rule is a rule of thumb in transition metal chemistry for characterising and predicting the stability of metal complexes.
In religion and literature
- The Hebrew word for "life" is חי (chai), which has a numerical value of 18. Consequently, the custom has arisen in Jewish circles to give donations and monetary gifts in multiples of 18 as an expression of blessing for long life.
- In Judaism, in the Talmud; Pirkei Avot (5:25), Rabbi Yehudah ben Teime gives the age of 18 as the appropriate age to get married ("Ben shmonah esra lechupah", at eighteen years old to the Chupah (marriage canopy)). (See Coming of age, Age of majority).
- Shemoneh Esrei (sh'MOH-nuh ES-ray) is a prayer that is the center of any Jewish religious service. Its name means "eighteen". The prayer is also known as the Amidah.
- In Ancient Roman custom the number 18 can symbolise a blood relative.
- Joseph Heller's novel Catch-22 was originally named Catch-18 because of the Hebrew meaning of the number, but was amended to the published title to avoid confusion with another war novel, Mila 18.
- There are 18 chapters in the Bhagavad Gita, which is contained in the Mahabharata, which has 18 books. The Kurukshetra War which the epic depicts, is between 18 armies (11 on the Kuru side, 7 on the Pandava). The war itself lasts for 18 days. In the other Hindu epic, the Ramayana, the war between Rama and the demons also lasted 18 days.
- In Babism the first 18 disciples of the Báb were known as the Letters of the Living.
As lucky or unlucky number
- In Chinese tradition, 18 pronounced 十八 (shí bā) and is considered a lucky number due to similarity with 實發 (shì fā) 'definitely get rich', 'to get rich for sure'.
In most countries, 18 is the age of majority (adulthood) and also the voting age.
In eleven states of the United States, 18 is the age of sexual consent.
It is also the age of sexual consent under U.S. federal law (although this law only applies in circumstances involving transportation or transaction between different states or outside the United States).
In addition, Pennsylvania has a corruption of minors law that makes the de facto age of consent there 18. This is also the case in some jurisdictions outside the United States, including Canada.
- In association football (soccer), "the 18" is a slang term for the penalty area.
- In Australian rules football (except in AFL Women's), each team has 18 players on the field during play.
- There are 18 holes on a regulation golf course.
In other fields
Eighteen is also:
- A 2005 movie directed by Richard Bell and starring Brendan Fletcher and Alan Cumming.
- A 2002 album by electronic artist Moby.
- The number of chapters into which James Joyce's epic novel Ulysses is divided.
- Russ Wheeler's car number in the film Days of Thunder.
- The number of wheels on the most common type of North American tractor-trailer truck, which are hence often called 18-wheelers.
- The number of the French department Cher and the Turkish province Bitlis.
- DVD-18 is double-sided, double-layered DVD format.
- A Canon error message, see E18 error.
- Android 18, a fictional character in the Dragon Ball manga and anime series.
- 18th Street gang, a Hispanic American gang.
- The Hindu epic Mahabharata has eighteen sections, involves eighteen armies and is about a war fought over eighteen days.
- In the Chinese mythos, Hell has 18 levels.
- In Chinese folklore, the Shaolin temple had a group of 18 bronze Monks. Initiates could only be considered full graduates of Shaolin martial arts if they could defeat them in combat.
- In Neo-Nazi circles 18 is the numerical sign for Adolf Hitler (1 standing for A and 8 standing for H). It is also the number for the UK-based terrorist group Combat 18.[unreliable source?][unreliable source?]
- In 1990 Megadeth released Hangar 18 as a single from Rust in Peace.
- Eighteen Visions (often abbreviated to 18V), an alternative metal/metalcore band from Orange County, California.
- Eighteen Eighteen, a South African Rap artist.
- "I'm Eighteen", Alice Cooper's first Top Ten hit single, from their 1971 album Love It to Death.
- A surname, recorded in East Anglia in the 18th century.
- In English speech, commonly confused with the number 80, as they sound similar when spoken
- "Sloane's A005835 : Pseudoperfect (or semiperfect) numbers". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- N James. The Early Composition History of Catch-22. In Biographies of Books: The Compositional Histories of Notable American Writings, J Barbour, T Quirk (edi.) pp. 262-90. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 1996
- 言必有「中」：「十八」「實發」 人見人愛. 文匯報. Accessed 2015-01-12. Archived 2015-01-15.
- "The US Federal Age of Sexual Consent". SOL Research. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Age Of Consent By State". Age-of-consent.info. Archived from the original on 2011-04-17. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Worldwide Ages of Consent". Avert.org. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- CANADA'S LEGAL AGE OF CONSENT TO SEXUAL ACTIVITY Revised 12 April 2001: "Section 153 now prohibits "sexual interference" or "invitation to sexual touching," in respect of a young person over 14 but under 18, where the accused is in a relationship of trust or authority towards the complainant or the complainant is in a relationship of dependency with the accused."
- Government of Canada - Age of Consent to Sexual Activity: "the age of consent is 18 years where the sexual activity "exploits" the young person -- when it involves prostitution, pornography or occurs in a relationship of authority, trust or dependency (e.g., with a teacher, coach or babysitter). Sexual activity can also be considered exploitative based on the nature and circumstances of the relationship, e.g., the young person's age, the age difference between the young person and their partner, how the relationship developed (quickly, secretly, or over the Internet) and how the partner may have controlled or influenced the young person."
- "Eighteen One-Name Study". One-name.org. 2012-01-13. Archived from the original on 2013-05-07. Retrieved 2013-08-02.