Epoch J2000.0 Equinox J2000.0
|Right ascension||20h 58m 25.93s|
|Declination||+10° 50' 21.43″|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||5.522|
|Absolute magnitude (V)||1.202|
18 Delphini (abbreviated 18 Del), also named Musica, is a yellow giant star of spectral type G6III situated approximately 238 light-years from Earth in the constellation of Delphinus. An extrasolar planet (designated 18 Delphini b, later named Arion) is believed to be orbiting the star.
18 Delphini is the star's Flamsteed designation. Following its discovery the planet was designated 18 Delphini b. In July 2014 the International Astronomical Union launched a process for giving proper names to certain exoplanets and their host stars. The process involved public nomination and voting for the new names. In December 2015, the IAU announced the winning names were Musica for this star and Arion for its planet.
The winning names were those submitted by the Tokushima Prefectural Jonan High School Science Club of Japan. 'Musica' is Latin for 'music'. Arion was a genius of poetry and music in ancient Greece. According to legend, his life was saved at sea by dolphins after attracting their attention by the playing of his kithara  ('Delphinus' is Latin for 'dolphin').
(in order from star)
|b (Arion)||>10.3 MJ||2.6||993.3 ± 3.2||0.08 ± 0.01||—||—|
- NameExoWorlds: An IAU Worldwide Contest to Name Exoplanets and their Host Stars. IAU.org. 9 July 2014
- NameExoWorlds The Process
- Final Results of NameExoWorlds Public Vote Released, International Astronomical Union, 15 December 2015.
- NameExoWorlds The Approved Names
- Sato, Bun'ei; et al. (2008). "Planetary Companions around Three Intermediate-Mass G and K Giants: 18 Delphini, ξ Aquilae and HD 81688". Publications of the Astronomical Society of Japan 60 (3): 539–550. arXiv:0802.2590. Bibcode:2008PASJ...60..539S. doi:10.1093/pasj/60.3.539.
- Jean Schneider (2011). "Notes for star 18 Del". Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
|This giant-star-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|