18th Academy Awards
|18th Academy Awards|
|Date||March 7, 1946|
|Site||Grauman’s Chinese Theater, Hollywood, California, USA|
|Hosted by||James Stewart and Bob Hope|
|Best Picture||The Lost Weekend|
|Most awards||The Lost Weekend (4)|
|Most nominations||The Bells of St. Mary's (8)|
The 18th Academy Awards was the first such ceremony after World War II. As a result, the ceremony featured more glamour than had been present during the war. Plaster statuettes that had been given out during the war years were replaced with bronze statuettes with gold plating. Despite this, director Billy Wilder's grim and socially significant drama The Lost Weekend took the top honors. It became the first film to win both the Academy Award for Best Picture and the Palme d'Or. Joan Crawford was absent, claiming she had pneumonia (although it was said it was because she was sure she would not win the Academy Award for Best Actress for Mildred Pierce). As it turned out she did win, and the award was delivered to her while in bed that night.
Winners are listed first and highlighted in boldface.
Academy Honorary Award
- Walter Wanger
- The House I Live In
- Republic Studio, Daniel J. Bloomberg and the Republic Sound Department
Academy Juvenile Award
- Ingrid Bergman (Presenter: Best Actor)
- Charles Boyer (Presenter: Best Actress)
- Frank Capra (Presenter: Best Film Editing, Best Sound Recording, and Best Special Effects)
- Bette Davis (Presenter: Writing Awards)
- Y. Frank Freeman (Presenter: Short Subject Awards)
- D.W. Griffith (Presenter: Best Cinematography)
- Van Heflin (Presenter: Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor)
- Eric Johnston (Presenter: Best Picture)
- George Murphy (Presenter: Honorary Award to Peggy Ann Garner)
- Donald Nelson (Presenter: Honorary Awards)
- Ginger Rogers (Presenter: Best Art Direction)
- Cesar Romero and Peter Viertel (Presenters: Show Introduction)
- William Wyler (Presenter: Best Director)
Multiple nominations and awards
These films had multiple nominations:
The following films received multiple awards.
- "The 18th Academy Awards (1946) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-16.