1906 in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events from the year 1906 in France.
- 16 January - Algeciras Conference begins, to mediate the First Moroccan Crisis between France and Germany.
- 10 March - Explosion in coal mine in Courrières kills 1099.
- 7 April - Final agreement from Algeciras Conference is signed.
- 6 May - Legislative Election held.
- 20 May - Legislative Election held.
- 12 July - Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish army officer hastily and wrongly convicted of treason in 1899, is exonerated.
- 21 July - Dreyfus is reinstalled in the French Army 21 July, ending the Dreyfus Affair.
- 23 October - Santos-Dumont 14-bis aircraft performs the first publicly witnessed European unaided take-off by a heavier-than-air aircraft, in Bagatelle.
January to June
- 5 January - Pierre Seghers, poet and editor (died 1987)
- 21 February - Jeanne Aubert, singer and actress (died 1988)
- 8 March - Louis Peglion, cyclist (died 1986)
- 9 March - Joseph Mauclair, cyclist (died 1990)
- 18 March - Paul Rassinier, pacifist, political activist and author (died 1967)
- 25 March - Jean Sablon, singer and actor (died 1994)
- 26 March - Henri Cadiou, painter and lithographer (died 1989)
- 2 April - Armand Barbault, chemist and alchemist (died 1982)
- 2 April - Maurice Thiriet, composer (died 1972)
- 6 May - André Weil, mathematician (died 1998)
- 7 June - Alexandre Renard, Roman Catholic Cardinal (died 1983)
- 24 June - Pierre Fournier, cellist (died 1986)
July to September
- 1 July - Jean Dieudonné, mathematician (died 1992)
- 7 July - Charles Vaurie, ornithologist (died 1975)
- 27 July - Roger Duchesne, actor (died 1996)
- 30 July - Alex Thépot, international soccer player (died 1989)
- 18 August - Marcel Carné, film director (died 1996)
- 6 September - Luis Federico Leloir, doctor and biochemist who received the 1970 Nobel Prize in Chemistry (died 1987)
- 12 September - Jacques Lacarrière, ice hockey player (died 2005)
- 30 September - Mireille Hartuch, singer, composer and actress (died 1996)
October to December
- 3 October - Raymond Triboulet, resistance fighter and politician (died 2006)
- 7 November - Jean Leray, mathematician (died 1998)
- 7 November - Pierre Magne, cyclist (died 1980)
- 14 November - Claude Ménard, athlete and Olympic medallist (died 1980)
- 16 November - Henri Charrière, convicted felon and author (died 1973)
- 10 December - Jules Ladoumègue, athlete and Olympic medallist (died 1973)
- 27 December - Andreas Feininger, French-born German-American photographer (died 1999)
Full date unknown
- Ferdinand Alquié, philosopher (died 1985)
- Colette Audry, novelist, screenwriter and critic (died 1990)
- Marcel Ichac, alpinist, explorer, photographer and film director (died 1994)
- Bernard Lefebvre, photographer (died 1992)
- Jacques Leguerney, composer (died 1997)
- 1 April - Léon Fairmaire, entomologist (born 1820)
- 19 April - Pierre Curie, physicist, shared the 1903 Nobel Prize in physics (born 1859)
- 5 July - Jules Adolphe Aimé Louis Breton, painter (born 1827)
- 26 August - Victor, 5th duc de Broglie, aristocrat (born 1846)
- 22 October - Paul Cézanne, painter (born 1839)
- 5 September - Albert Tissandier, architect, aviator, illustrator, editor and archaeologist (born 1839)
- 9 December - Ferdinand Brunetière, writer and critic (born 1849)