1910 Penang conference
The 1910 Penang conference (庇能會議) was a meeting held in Penang 404 Dato' Kramat road on November 13, 1910, by Sun Yat-sen to stage a major revolt. The following day, on November 14, 1910, Sun Yat-sen chaired an Emergency Meeting of the Tongmenghui at 120 Armenian Street, now the Sun Yat Sen Museum Penang, and raised Straits Dollars $8,000 on the spot. The meeting focused on fund raising and the planning of a final revolution to overthrow the Qing government that would make or break the Tongmenghui.
Participants included followers such as Huang Xing, Hu Hanmin, Zhao Sheng (趙聲), Sun Mei (孫眉), Dai Jitao, Goh Say Eng (吴世荣) and Ooi Kim Kheng (黄金庆) from Penang; Tung Yen (邓泽如) from Seremban; and Li Xiehe (李燮和) from Indonesia. In total, 53 people participated.
The meeting planned the revolt to take place at Guangzhou. A financial goal was set to raise at least $100,000 among the overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia Nanyang. The new army of Guangdong was to be the main force of the revolt. The Tongmenhui headquarters in Tokyo was not told of this meeting, and party leaders who opposed or doubted him were not invited.
After this meeting Sun would leave Penang for North America, United States. There are multiple possible causes on why he was banned. One reason was that he was ordered by the British colonial authorities to leave Penang because of his public criticism of British colonial rule. Another reason was that Straits administrator John Anderson ordered him to be banned because of inflammatory speech to incite support for his anti-Manchu revolutions on November 26, 1910, at a Chinese club.
The 1910 Penang Conference was reenacted in the Chinese movie Road To Dawn (2007).
- Khoo, Salma Nasution.  (2008). Sun Yat Sen in Penang. Areca publishing. ISBN 983-42834-8-2, ISBN 978-983-42834-8-3. Pg 50, 62, 122.
- Yan, Qinghuang.  (2008). The Chinese in Southeast Asia and beyond: socioeconomic and political dimensions. World Scientific publishing. ISBN 981-279-047-0, ISBN 978-981-279-047-7. pg 182-190.
- 庇能会议策动黄花岗起义ifeng.com, 2011/09/12
- 更瞭解孫中山歷史 18老屋置3語解說板Sun Yat Sen Museum Penang, 2011/05/27
- Penang TripLeongstar, 2017/09/24
- 华侨与黄花岗起义述论gzzxz.com, 2015/10/13