1911 Kansas vs. Missouri football game
|First American Football Homecoming Game
Kansas vs. Missouri
First homecoming football game, 1911
|Date||November 25, 1911|
The 1911 Kansas vs. Missouri football game was a college football game between the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri played on November 25, 1911 at Rollins Field in Columbia, Missouri. It is widely considered, although contested, to be the first college football homecoming game ever played.
The Missouri Tigers, under coach Chester Brewer entered the game with a record of 2 wins, 4 losses, and 1 tie. The Kansas Jayhawks, led by Ralph W. Sherwin brought a record of 4 wins, 2 losses, and 1 tie. The game ended in a 3–3 tie and was the final game of the season for both schools.
More than 1,000 people gathered in downtown Lawrence, Kansas to watch a mechanical reproduction of the game while it was being played. A Western Union telegraph wire was set up direct from Columbia, with information "broadcast" to Lawrence. A group of people then would announce the results of the previous play and used a large model of a football playing field to show the results. Those in attendance would cheer as though they were watching the game live, including the school's Rock Chalk, Jayhawk cheer.
- Border War (Kansas–Missouri rivalry)
- 1911 college football season
- List of historically significant college football games
- "The History of Homecoming". Active.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- DeLassus, David. "Coaching Records: Game-by-game (Chester L. Brewer, 1911)". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- "100 years ago: Football fans enjoy mechanized reproduction of KU-MU game". Lawrence Journal-World. November 27, 2011. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- "U celebrates Homecoming Week 2004 : UMNews : University of Minnesota". .umn.edu. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Chrös Mcdougall And Blaine Grider. "Tradition's beginnings mysterious". Columbia Missourian. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Eric J Eckert (2011-09-23). "Vincent's Views". York News-Times. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- DeLassus, David. "Coaching Records: Game-by-game (Ralph Sherwin, 1911)". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- Shaffer, Ian. "Kansas 3 vs Missouri 3". College Football Reference. Retrieved December 27, 2011.