1916 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1916 in India.
- Emperor of India – George V
- Viceroy of India - Charles Hardinge, 1st Baron Hardinge of Penshurst
- Viceroy of India - Frederic Thesiger, 1st Viscount Chelmsford (from 4 April)
- The Hindus leading the Indian National Congress Party hammer out an alliance - the Lucknow Pact - with India's Muslim League.
- 13 February - Jagjit Singh Aurora, military commander (died 2005).
- 21 March - Bismillah Khan, shehnai musician and Bharat Ratna winner (died 2006).
- 23 March - Harkishan Singh Surjeet, former General Secretary of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (died 2008).
- 8 May - Chinmayananda, spiritual leader (died 1993).
- 16 September - M. S. Subbulakshmi, Carnatic singer (died 2004).
Full date unknown
|This year in India article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|