1916 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February 9 – 6.00 p.m. – Tristan Tzara "founds" Dadaism (according to Hans Arp).
- March – Liljevalchs konsthall inaugurated in Stockholm.
- May 20 – Boy with Baby Carriage is Norman Rockwell's first cover for The Saturday Evening Post.
- May – Muirhead Bone recruited as a war artist by the British War Propaganda Bureau. At the end of the year, his album of drawings The Western Front begins publication.
- June 16 – Cleveland Museum of Art opens.
- September – C. R. W. Nevinson holds his first major one-man exhibition in London.
- Edvard Munch's paintings for the Aula (festival hall) of Det Kongelige Frederiks Universitet, Christiania, are inaugurated.
- Provincial Fine Arts Museum completed in Córdoba, Argentina.
- Kestnergesellschaft founded in Hanover, Germany.
- Ezra Pound publishes Gaudier-Brzeska: A Memoir.
See also: Category:1916 sculptures
- Paul Wayland Bartlett – Apotheosis of Democracy (pediment sculpture on United States Capitol)
- Umberto Boccioni – Portrait of Ferruccio Busoni
- Constantin Brâncuși – Princess X (sculpture)
- Frank Brangwyn – Mosaic for apse of St Aidan's Church, Leeds, England
- Giorgio de Chirico
- Marcel Duchamp – Apolinère Enameled (approximate date)
- Jacob Epstein – The Tin Hat (bust)
- Paul Gustav Fischer – Sunbathing in the Dunes
- Mark Gertler
- J. W. Godward
- Ancient Pastimes
- By The Blue Ionian Sea
- Lesbia With Her Sparrow
- Boris Kustodiev
- Shrovetide (Масленица)
- Alfred Laliberté – Les petits Baigneurs (bronze, Montreal)
- Fernand Léger – Soldier with a Pipe
- Wilhelm Lehmbruck – The Fallen (sculpture)
- Kazimir Malevich – Suprematist Composition
- Edward Middleton Manigault
- Henri Matisse – The Piano Lesson
- Jean Metzinger – Femme au miroir (Femme à sa toilette, Lady at her Dressing Table)
- Amedeo Modigliani
- Claude Monet – paintings in Water Lilies series
- C. R. W. Nevinson
- Matthew Smith – Fitzroy Street Nude No. 1
- April 11 – Irv Novick, American comic book artist (died 2004)
- April 20 – Gerald Dillon, Irish painter (died 1971)
- April 26 – Eyvind Earle, American illustrator and Disney artist (died 2000)
- July 25 – Fred Lasswell, American cartoonist (died 2001)
- September 29 – Carl Giles, English cartoonist (died 1995)
- October 18 – Jean-Yves Couliou, French painter (died 1995)
- November 3 – Harry Lampert, American cartoonist, advertising artist and author (died 2004)
- November 10 – Louis le Brocquy, Irish painter (died 2012)
- February 13 – Vilhelm Hammershøi, Danish painter (born 1864)
- March 4 – Franz Marc, German Expressionist painter (born 1880) (killed in action during Battle of Verdun)
- June 25 – Thomas Eakins, American painter, sculptor and teacher (born 1844)
- June 29 – Georges Lacombe, French artist (born 1868)
- July 6 – Odilon Redon, French Symbolist painter and graphic artist (born 1840)
- July 29 – Eleanor Vere Boyle, English watercolorist (born 1825)
- August 17 – Umberto Boccioni, Italian Futurist painter and sculptor (born 1882) (died following a fall during cavalry training)
- August 28 – Henri Harpignies, French landscape painter of the Barbizon school (born 1819)
- October 25 – William Merritt Chase, American Impressionist painter (born 1849)
- December 13 – Antonin Mercié, French sculptor and painter (born 1845)
- date unknown