1918 Celebes Sea earthquake
|UTC time||1918-08-15 12:18:21|
|Local date||August 15, 1918|
|Depth||20 km (12 mi)|
|Max. intensity||X (Extreme)|
The 1918 Celebes Sea earthquake occurred on 15 August at 12:18 UTC. It had a magnitude of 8.3 on the moment magnitude scale and a maximum perceived intensity of X (Extreme) on the Mercalli intensity scale.
This event in the southern Philippines triggered a large tsunami, with a maximum run-up of 7.2 m, which affected the coasts of the Celebes Sea, causing widespread damage. The combined effects of the earthquake and the tsunami caused 52 casualties. This is considered as one of the most destructive earthquake in the country.
- 1897 Mindanao earthquakes
- 1976 Moro Gulf earthquake
- List of earthquakes in 1918
- List of earthquakes in the Philippines
- "M 8.3 - Mindanao, Philippines". United States Geological Survey. August 15, 1918. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Comments for the Significant Earthquake". Significant Earthquake Database. National Geophysical Data Center. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- ISC (27 June 2015), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900–2009), Version 2.0, International Seismological Centre
- "Comments for the Tsunami Event". NGDC/WDS Tsunami Event Database. National Geophysical Data Center. Retrieved 27 June 2015.