1919 in radio
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1919 in radio details the internationally significant events in radio broadcasting for the year 1919.
- 17 October – The assets of Marconi Company's American operations are acquired by General Electric and are incorporated (along with the Pan-American Telegraph Company and assets already controlled by the United States Navy) as the Radio Corporation of America. Former American Marconi executive David Sarnoff is also brought over to the new company; he would become an influential figure at RCA and with the development of NBC and RKO.
- 28 October – On the first anniversary of the establishment of independent Czechoslovakia the first radio programme of words and music is broadcast from the telegraph station at the Petřín lookout tower in Prague.
- Lee De Forest resumes broadcasting from the Bronx after a hiatus due to World War I. The station is given the designation 2XG. Records concerts are aired 5 times a week. The world's first known programme director is Richard Klein.
- 17 October – Dr. Frank Conrad begins broadcasting from 8XK at 7750 Penn Avenue, in Pittsburgh which a year later will become KDKA.
- 19 November – Experimental station 8ZAE (later KQV) is launched in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 1 December – Experimental station XWA (later CFCF, then CIQC, and finally CINW) is launched in Montreal, Canada by the Marconi Company.
- Following the conclusion of World War I, experimental station 1XE (later WGI) is re-launched in Medford Hillside, Massachusetts, U.S.A. (on the Tufts University campus) by Harold J. Power and the American Radio and Research Corporation (AMRAD).
- 17 January - Dallas Townsend, American broadcast journalist (died 1995)
- 21 January - Jinx Falkenburg, American radio and television talk show host (died 2003)
- 16 September - Lawrence Dobkin - American radio and television director, actor and screenwriter (died 2002)
- 11 December - Cliff Michelmore, English broadcast presenter (died 2016)
|This article related to radio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|