1920 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1920 in India.
- Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College, founded by Sir Syed Ahmed Khan in Aligarh in 1875, becomes Aligarh Muslim University.
- 8 July – The House of Commons adopts the findings of the Hunter report.
- Founding of the University of Lucknow.
- Non-cooperation movement was launched on 31 August 1920 by Gandhi;
January to June
- 12 February – Pran, actor (died 2013).
- 16 February – I. S. Johar, actor, writer, producer and director (died 1984).
- 7 April – Ravi Shankar, sitar player and composer (died 2012).
- 1 May – Manna Dey, playback singer (died 2013).
July to December
- 14 July – Shankarrao Chavan, politician and twice Chief Minister of Maharashtra (died 2004).
- 1 August – Annabhau Sathe, social reformer and writer (died 1969).
- 19 October – Pandurang Shastri Athavale, philosopher, spiritual leader, social reformer, who founded the Swadhyay Movement (died 2003).
- 27 October – K. R. Narayanan, politician and 10th President of India (died 2005).
- 17 November – Gemini Ganesan, actor (died 2005).
Full date unknown
- Bharat Bhushan, actor (died 1992).
- 26 April – Srinivasa Ramanujan, mathematician (born 1887).
- 1 August – Bal Gangadhar Tilak, nationalist, social reformer and independence fighter (born 1856).
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 262
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 315