1920 in Japan
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Other events of 1920|
List of years in Japan
Events in the year 1920 in Japan.
- 10 January – Japan is a founding member of the League of Nations.
- 1 February – Japanese sugar plantation workers in Hawaii officially join a strike led by Filipinos and Hispanic workers.
- 24 February – Nikolayevsk Incident: Realizing that he is outnumbered and far from reinforcement, the commander of the Japanese garrison allowed Yakov Triapitsyn's troops to enter the town of Nikolayevsk-on-Amur under a flag of truce.
- 10 May – In the general election, the Rikken Seiyūkai, led by Prime Minister Hara Takashi, increases on its majority of seats in the lower house of the Diet.
- June - About 450 Japanese civilians and 350 Japanese soldiers, along with Russian White Army supporters, are massacred by partisan forces associated with the Red Army at Nikolayevsk on the Amur River.
- 21 October – The Battle of Qingshanli begins between the Imperial Japanese Army and Korean armed groups in a densely wooded region of eastern Manchuria called Qīngshānlǐ.
- date unknown
- January 23 – Nejiko Suwa, violinist (d. 2012)
- March 17 – Takeo Doi, academic, psychoanalyst and author (d. 2009)
- March 22 – Katsuko Saruhashi, geochemist (d. 2007)
- April 1 – Toshiro Mifune, actor (d. 1997)
- May 9 – Mitsuko Mori, actress (d. 2012)
- June 17 – Setsuko Hara, actress (d. 2015)
- October 20 – Masao Sugiuchi, go player (d. 2017)
- January 10 – Yoshikawa Akimasa, politician and cabinet minister (b. 1842)
- January 11 – Kataoka Shichirō, admiral (b. 1854)
- April 27 – Tadashi Satō, soldier and politician (born 1849)
- October 5 – Suematsu Kenchō, politician and author (b. 1855)
- October 6 – Kuroiwa Shūroku, journalist and writer (b. 1864)
- Gutman, Anatoly. Ella Lury Wiswell (trans.); Richard A. Pierce (ed.) The Destruction of Nikolaevsk-on-Amur, An Episode in the Russian Civil War in the Far East, 1920. Limestone Press (1993). ISBN 0-919642-35-7
- Najita, Tetsuo: Hara Kei in the Politics of Compromise 1905–1915. Harvard Univ. Press, 1967.
- Sasaki Harutaka (佐々木春隆): Kankoku dokuritsu undōshi jō no "Seizanri taisen" kō (韓国独立運動史上の「青山里大戦」考), Gunji shigaku (軍事史学), Vol.15 No. 3, pp. 22–34, 1979.
- "Chronological List of the Mayors of Hiroshima City" Hiroshima Municipality