1920 in art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1920 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- February 1 – National Art Gallery opens in Tbilisi.
- November 7 – The "mass action" The Storming of the Winter Palace, directed by Nikolai Evreinov, is staged outside the Winter Palace in Petrograd.
- The Cologne Dadaist group is formed by Jean Arp, Max Ernst and Alfred Grünwald.
- Katherine Dreier, Man Ray and Marcel Duchamp form Société Anonyme.
- Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada set up the Leach Pottery in St Ives, Cornwall.
- Heckscher Museum of Art established in Huntington, New York.
- Latvian Museum of Foreign Art established in Riga.
- Art historian Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler publishes Der Weg Zum Kubismus ("The Rise of Cubism").
- Hans Baluschek – City of Workers
- Cecilia Beaux – portrait of Georges Clemenceau
- Thomas Hart Benton – People of Chilmark (figure composition)
- Pierre Bonnard – Landscape in Normandy
- Alexander Stirling Calder – Swann Memorial Fountain (Philadelphia)
- Sydney Carline – The Destruction of the Turkish Transport in the Gorge of the Wadi Fara, Palestine
- Lovis Corinth – Flowers and Wilhelmine
- Otto Dix – The Match Vendor I
- Max Ernst
- George Frampton – Edith Cavell Memorial (London)
- James Earle Fraser – Frederick Keep Monument (Washington, D.C.)
- Daniel Chester French
- J. W. Godward – A Red, Red Rose
- George Grosz – Republican Automatons
- Richard Jack – The Passing of the Chieftain
- Goscombe John – Equestrian statue of the Viscount Wolseley (London)
- Einar Jónsson – Thorfinn Karlsefni (bronze statue, Philadelphia)
- Eric Kennington – The Victims (retitled The Conquerors)
- Winifred Knights – The Deluge
- Boris Kustodiev
- George Washington Lambert – A sergeant of the Light Horse
- Edwin Lutyens
- Paul Klee – Angelus Novus (worked copper plate)
- Stanton MacDonald-Wright – Airplane Synchromy in Yellow-Orange
- Henri Matisse – Interior at Nice
- Christopher R. W. Nevinson – The Soul of the Soulless City (originally New York – an Abstraction)
- William Nicholson
- Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin – 1918 in Petrograd (Petrograd Madonna)
- Charles Marie Louis Joseph Sarrabezolles – L'Âme de la France (plaster version)
- Georg Scholz – Industrial Farmers (Von der Heydt Museum, Wuppertal)
- Charles Sheeler
- Mario Sironi – Truck
- Stanley Spencer
- The Last Supper
- Christ Carrying the Cross
- Lorado Taft – Fountain of Time (Chicago)
- Aston Webb (architect) and Alfred Drury (sculptor) – London Troops War Memorial
January to June
- January 12 – Bill Reid, Canadian artist (d. 1998).
- January 17 – Georges Pichard, French comics artist (d. 2003).
- January 30 – Patrick Heron, English painter, writer and designer (d. 1999).
- February 22 – Rocco Borella, Italian painter (d. 1994).
- March 3 – Ronald Searle, English cartoonist (d. 2011).
- March 14 – Hank Ketcham, American cartoonist (d. 2001).
- March 27 – Robin Jacques, English illustrator (d. 1995).
- April 8 – Hans Coper, German-born studio potter (d. 1981).
- April 24 – Paul Wonner, American painter (d. 2008).
- May – Hans Josephsohn, German-born sculptor (d. 2012).
- May 8
- May 10 - Erna Viitol, Estonian sculptor (d. 2001).
- June 4 – Alejandro Obregón, Colombian painter, muralist, sculptor and engraver (d. 1992).
- June 24
- June 29 – Ray Harryhausen, American-born stop-motion animator, sculptor (d. 2013).
July to December
- July 20 – Arthur Boyd, Australian painter and sculptor (d. 1999).
- July 21 – Constant Nieuwenhuys, Dutch painter, one of the innovators of Unitary Urbanism (d. 2005).
- August 5 – George Tooker, painter.
- August 15 – Judy Cassab, born Judit Kaszab, Austrian-born Australian portrait painter (d. 2015).
- August 22 – Gene Davis, American painter (d. 1985).
- August 26
- October 31 – Helmut Newton, photographer (d. 2004).
- November 23 – Wayne Thiebaud, American painter.
- December 18 – Enrique Grau, Colombian painter and sculptor (d. 2004).
- December 21 – Bob Bindig, American illustrator (d. 2007)
Full date unknown
- Elaine Hamilton, American painter (d. 2010).
- Adrian Heath, Burmese-born English painter (d. 1992).
- Raymond Moore, English landscape photographer (d. 1987).
- Daniel O'Neill, Irish painter (d. 1974).
- January 24 – Amedeo Modigliani, Italian-born painter and sculptor (b. 1884)
- January 26 – Jeanne Hébuterne, French artist, Modigliani's mistress and model (suicide) (b. 1898)
- March 13 – Mary Devens, American pictorial photographer (b. 1857)
- March 15 – Edith Holden, English nature artist and art teacher (b. 1871)
- March 26 – Samuel Colman, American painter and designer (b. 1832)
- April 20 – Briton Rivière, British painter (b. 1840)
- April 27 – Jacob Ungerer, German sculptor (b. 1840)
- May 12 – Georges Petit, French art dealer (b. 1856)
- August 4 – C. G. Finch-Davies, British bird painter (b. 1875)
- August 6 – Edward Francis Searles, American interior designer (b. 1841)
- August 12 – Walter W. Winans, American sculptor, painter, marksman and horse-breeder (b. 1852)
- August 22 – Anders Zorn, Swedish portrait painter (b. 1860)
- September 24 – Peter Carl Fabergé, Russian-born jeweller (b. 1846)
- November 13 – Luc-Olivier Merson, French painter (b. 1846)
- date unknown – Edith Corbet, Australian-born British landscape painter (b. 1846)