1921 in rail transport
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1921.
- January 26 – Abermule train collision, Wales: faulty operation of Train Tablet leads to head-on collision killing 17 people.
- April 15 – Southern Pacific Railroad takes delivery of 4-6-2 number 2472 (now preserved) from Baldwin Locomotive Works.
- July 14 – In an effort to consolidate maintenance and simplify operations, Grand Trunk Railway and Canadian Northern Ontario Railway open a 0.35 miles (0.56 km) connection in Lyn, Ontario.
- August 19 – Publication in the United Kingdom of the Railways Act 1921, which provided for the amalgamation of British railway companies into four large groups, "The Big Four", with effect from January 1, 1923.
- December 5 – The Louisville and Nashville Railroad introduces the Pan-American passenger train between Cincinnati, Ohio and New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Spring – Founding of Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in the U.S.
- Standard Oil begins shipments of gasoline from Casper, Wyoming, by tank car on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad to Baton Rouge, Louisiana; in Baton Rouge, the fuel is transloaded to ships for export. The city of Casper claims that it ships more oil by railroad than any other city in the world.
- July 31 – James I. C. Boyd, British railway historian, is born (d. 2009).
- May 18 – Franklin Knight Lane, Interstate Commerce Commission commissioner 1905-1913, chairman of same in 1913, dies (b. 1864).
- November 29 - George Stephen, first president of Canadian Pacific Railway Limited 1881-1888 (born 1829).
Unknown date deaths
- Diebert, Timothy S.; Strapac, Joseph A. (1987). Southern Pacific Company Steam Locomotive Conpendium. Shade Tree Books. ISBN 0-930742-12-5. p 178.
- "Significant dates in Ottawa railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. 10 June 2006. Archived from the original on 15 July 2006. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
- "Railway & Locomotive Historical Society". Archived from the original on 7 July 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-18.
- Casper Star-Tribune (June 22, 2005), BP Amoco Timeline. Retrieved June 22, 2005.
- Jones, Robert C. (1993). Two Feet to the Lakes. Pacific Fast Mail. p. 31. ISBN 0-915713-26-8.